HOWTO recreate the Haunted Mansion's singing busts

10 Responses to “HOWTO recreate the Haunted Mansion's singing busts”

1. Jasonclock says:

From that picture, I was so expecting a new Kraftwerk video.

2. gigus says:

I think the singing busts were negative molds so they would seem to turn their heads to watch you as you went by.

• Cory Doctorow says:

No, that’s a separate effect from earlier in the ride (the following-busts appear at the load-area in DL, and in the library in WDW)

3. Angryjim says:

The actual bust videos from the ride are around on the net… I’m pretty sure.

4. Angryjim says:

Oh yeah thats what they used. Rad.

5. Brainspore says:

My brother and I did this exact effect for a Halloween party once! Our decapitated, spear-impaled heads lip-synced David Seville’s “Witch Doctor” song in front of the house. His head sang the main part as a pith-helmet wearing explorer, mine sang the refrain as a headdress-wearing witch doctor. I wish we’d been able to get decent video of the installation but lighting was tricky.

My brother actually works as an engineer at Disneyland now.

• The Not So Brave Engineer says:

Yep, and that was all with analog video tape on a loop.  No fancy Ardunio controllers necessary.  Although earlier this week some of my co-workers used one of those controllers on their winning “pinewood derby” car.  Some people like to over-complicate things…

• Brainspore says:

Nice nom-de-net, bro. Let’s make sure to do one of those setups again when the kids are a little older.

• The Not So Brave Engineer says:

That would be tricky.  If you remember, you have to hold your head position very still when recording the video.  I don’t think any of our little whirling dervishes are going to be able to handle that any time soon.