Teller working on stage production of The Exorcist

10 Responses to “Teller working on stage production of The Exorcist

1. Teller advocating atheism? I don’t think that’s right.

At most it’s a silent approval.

2. Pickleschlitz says:

Quatermass and the Pit was the best film I know that explored those issues, along with some nice science fiction. I always saw the Exorcist as a story trying to make mysticism and magic relevant to today. The questioning was the subtext that just gave it depth. I wonder how it will work turned upside down.

But I’m betting Teller will line up some spectacular pea soup! Go Teller!

3. Jardine says:

Teller’s advocacy for atheism.

Damn atheists! Always shoving their beliefs down our throats! Teller should just shut the hell up!

• Seraphim_72 says:

Nice straw man you built. Must be nice having all that straw.

• Cornan_KotW says:

Poe’s Law, but I THINK that Jardine was being sarcastic.

• Brainspore says:

If you didn’t get the joke in “Teller should just shut the hell up!” then I take it you’ve never seen his act.

• Actually, Teller DOES speak during their stage show.

The gimmick is that you never SEE him speak.

If they still do the “Mofo, the psychic gorilla” piece, the voice you hear, “Thank you. I am Mofo, the psychic gorilla” is Teller, offstage.

In the recent Penn & Teller U.K. TV series, “Fool Us”, Teller actually speaks on stage! With his back turned to the audience, so that you still don’t see him speak.

4. yupgiboy says:

I’ve never seen nor heard anyone state that The Exorcist was the best film of all time. Some say the scariest, but never the best overall film. Sadly, the quotable obscenities and the effects laden climax greatly overshadow what I find to be the most haunting and lingering aspects of the movie. That is, the oppressive atmosphere of helplessness and regret that pervades the movie. Damien Karras’ inability to take care of his ailing mother and his questioning of his faith as a result (and the mirroring of those themes between Chris MacNeil and her daughter Regan) stayed with me long after the images of pea soup and levitation faded. It’s a shame that most people ignore the bulk of the movie to get to the sensationalism at the end. It’s sad that it’s become a party movie.

5. jeligula says:

No, the Exorcist is not the best movie ever made.  The amount of times that Ellen Burstyn says “For Christ’s sake,” makes me cringe.  But for sheer impact, it was a doozie.  I would be very interested in seeing this stage production.

6. webmonkees says:

He could do pretty well as an exorcist himself;  the simple act of speaking to someone for the first time sends them into shock.