The biped robot which rides on a bicycle

25 Responses to “The biped robot which rides on a bicycle”

1. Just what we needed!  Machines to take over our rightful healthy recreational activities.  What’s next?  Big game hunting?

2. I like how at the end it’s waving both arms like “HELP! I’M STUCK IN A FLOWER BED!”

3. Guest says:

Is there one with a tiny violin?  We could send it to the RBS.

4. RadioSilence says:

That’s what my knees sound like when I ride a bike too!

5. cosmicrob says:

I find this creepily adorable.

6. zebbart says:

Is it riding a fixie?

7. Glippiglop says:

Oooh, just think of the military applications!  An army of bicycle riding robots that wave at the terrorists whilst mowing them down with machine guns?  Want.

8. Glen Able says:

He looks really smug, like he thinks he’s better than me.  I’d like to kick his little metal face off.

9. Stitch says:

Hipster robot rides a fixie with no brakes. He was killing all humans before it was cool.

10. asentgeorge says:

what? Can’t do a lip to 720 off the curb lip? not impressed, but strangely cathartic…

11. Marc Mielke says:

Ah! Since I myself cannot ride a bike, this would be a perfect solution to saving on gas prices!

Umm…what does the robot run on?

12. OMG.  My father, a NASA pilot for most of his life, used to use exactly this as the threshold capability, when discussing aircraft autopilot systems with designers.  The designers were always saying “this system can replace the pilot!” and my dad would always say, “call me when your system can ride a bike over rough ground.”
    And now they’re there.  Almost.  Practically.

13. Mari Lwyd says:

Cute robot but surprised the designers chose that the robot should move it’s arms to turn rather than the simpler neck bending to alter balance.

14. SeeChao says:

wantwantwantwantwantwant

15. pjcamp says:

If it’s not throwing papers, it’s useless.

16. Palomino says:

Not one shot of the the robot stopping THEN starting, all are cutaways from stop to re-start…..Why?  Some kind of flaw.

17. adwkiwi says:

Big Dog would eat this guy for breakfast. Boston Dynamics build robots properly.

18. Tony says:

I think this is one of the creepier robot videos I’ve seen, and I’m a guy that welcomes our future robot overlords!

19. joshhaglund says:

I was waiting for it to hit some sweet jumps and all it did was wave.

20. Bruce Miller says:

Sadly misses the mark, as the communists in China focus firmly on creating a better society for humanity, even holding birth control as a high principle, ans good diet – not the American diet!  a well as electric bullet trains electricity furnished by Thorium LFTR reactors with little and  benign waste products.  more cars manufactured, up and running than in all America as we speak! Where does their oil come from? Well, truth is, America’s supplies will be “shared down” in the next few decades, with Chinese bidding with more highly prized, less manipulated Yuan against Americans with U.S. fiat, “Funny Money” facing even Q 3, 4, 5, “easings” by the Fed’s just to keep the country running! Unfortunately, American peons have no family farms to return to as do the Chinese workers, American peons have no electric bullet trains providing very inexpensive transportation, but they do have enormous appetites, huge bodies to fuel daily, thanks to the “Great American Corporate and Capitalist Propaganda Whore’s”
    and their “Sales pitch bull Shiite”, and some still try to pay for the impossibly wasteful McMansions, so skillfully marketed as part of the American identity, yet so ridiculously impractical, unsustainable, and highly taxable! Robot bikes? Better SMART goals: Anaerobic sewage digestion by law, throughout the nation. Thorium fueled LFTR reactors http://www.theoildrum.com/node/4971  explains. Rail that runs on time runs fast, Conventional Solar/Thermal electric plans for domestic energy increases, (Spain does this now). Wind Turbine research – find a more effective SMART windmill, to serve small, sustainable, communities at their bases, independent of the “Grid”, free of transmission loses. Commuter cars that tale no oil. Super-insulations – conserve what energy we have, decrease heating/cooling, refrigeration, cooking, costs, taking less energy! Germany does this: their gas heaters generate electricity from the same dollar’s worth of fuel!  Honda sells a home sized plant here in the U.S.  Who knew? Techniques, and the machinery to exploit communal living! Small stand alone neighborhoods, communities sharing to survive. Electric bikes, tuck-tucks, Gardening, with GMO’s bug free, drought resistant, higher vitamin content, better taste, fast growing, short season, with both tops ans bottoms edible. Aquaculture technologies that are totally automated run on Solar power, yield greens, and fish for protein. Help the ‘Unemployables” through American know how, new technologies, and planning to re-integrate or survive as sustainable component of society.

21. fefo says:

Now I’m not sure if this was a serious comment or not… but bending your neck does not steer a bike. It might make it lean to one side or the other, but you can’t make a bike turn by just leaning it (while still keeping your front wheel perfectly straight). Try it!