The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories: trove of lost Dr Seuss stories

9 Responses to “The Bippolo Seed and Other Lost Stories: trove of lost Dr Seuss stories”

1. ROSSINDETROIT says:

These stories are lost?  I remember reading the one about the out of control growing fish when I was a kid.

2. Mister44 says:

I got lucky and bought ~30 Dr Suess books for $25 at a garage sale. It was before I was even married and had kids, but knew it was something for the future. My favorite story is “I Had some Trouble in Getting to Solla Sollew”.

3. jackbird says:

That appears to be the same rabbit and bear from The Big Brag in Yertle the Turtle and Other Stories (the titular story of which still gives me chills at the end after hundreds of readings).

Did Seuss do a whole series with those two?

4. CoquiELF says:

My daughter received this book as a birthday gift, and we’ve enjoyed working our way through the stories. “Gustav the Goldfish” is the story most requested by the book’s recipient.

Some don’t feel as fully-realized as much of the Seuss we know and love, and others obviously provided the genesis for books we do know – like “The Cat in the Hat Comes Back.” I live in PC-ville, and some of the stories have phrases or situations which make me cringe a little. Something that amused me – in our mostly vegetable-eating household I had to spend some time explaining what “steak” is, and I still don’t think our 4yo gets the premise of “Steak for Supper.”

5. I ordered this from Amazon and it arrived the next day. I’ve already read it 2x. Its wonderful. Thanks for the heads up Cory.

6. Goodfella says:

How exciting, my kids will love this book. We have the full set of Dr Seuss.

7. chrismingryan says:

Hi Cory, thought you might be interested in a short profile piece on the Dentist who found the lost stories.  I produced this with The Daily last month. http://www.thedaily.com/page/2011/09/25/092511-arts-seuss-video/