One artfully torn dress from Goodwill, white face paint, and some of that hairspray-style hair dye to color my hands and feet = A weekend of explaining what a "wight" is to people who have never read Game of Thrones. (Sadly, the cheap blue contact lenses I picked up at a gas station wouldn't go into my eyes successfully.)
What did you dress up as this year?
- Open thread: your DIY Hallowe'en costumes?
- DIY Hallowe'en: The Grayscales
- DIY Hallowe'en: Minecraft Creeper
- DIY Hallowe'en: Wikileaks founder Julian Assange and alleged source Bradley Manning
- DIY Hallowe'en Costumes: Ghost Rider Johnny Angel
- Impaled Zombie Skateboarder DIY Halloween Costume - Boing Boing
Maggie Koerth-Baker is the science editor at BoingBoing.net. She writes a monthly column for The New York Times Magazine and is the author of Before the Lights Go Out, a book about electricity, infrastructure, and the future of energy. You can find Maggie on Twitter and Facebook.