Dangers of licorice

43 Responses to “Dangers of licorice”

1. William says:

Ok, so Twizzlers does not contain licorice. But what the heck does it contain that makes it more addictive than crack? It is the only product I know of that I have to open while I am in the car in the parking lot of the supermarket. It is the only product that compels me to drive to the store when an episode of FRINGE shows Walter eating (though he eats the competition, Red Vines), or when the product placement occurs in Warehouse 13. It is the only product that I have to throw the oversized bag away because if I do not I will eat the entire bag. I fully expect in a few years to learn that just like Coca Cola contained cocaine, Twizzlers contains SOMETHING similar.

2. Aloisius says:

Not all licorice is made with licorice root, especially in the US. Quite a bit is made with anise which doesn’t have the same health issues.

3. Dane says:

What consuming licorice in root form for herbal tea? I do this every day, it helps sore throats.

4. Brad H. says:

My aversion to liquorice is well founded then. But not so with aniseed.

You give me a dish of salted liquorice along with a measure of pastis as apéritif and I’ll kill you on the spot.

5. The Chemist says:

I’m never one to jump on typos, but when I read “Stawberry fiends” I hypercorrected to “strawberry friends“. Cool story, huh?

6. sugarsails says:

I didn’t realize anyone under forty ate licorice

7. BookGuy says:

Does coating the licorice with wheat make it better or worse?

8. firefly the great says:

Who in the world sits down and eats a pound a licorice?

9. RJ says:

They can have my mildly toxic candy when they pry it from my black, sticky fingers!

Actually, I just finished eating a bit of Panda licorice. As in, I was swallowing it when my eyes passed over the headline, “Dangers of Licorice.”

Oops, I just ate another piece. Mmm… deathalicious…

10. subhan says:

And yet this is legal, while marijuana is not.

11. Dane says:

So what’s the glycyrrhizic acid content of a gram of licorice root?

• Paul Renault says:

Jeepers, am I the only person who knows how to google stuff?

Second link:
      “The European Union suggests people should not consume any more than 100 mg of glycyrrhizic acid a day, equivalent to approximately 50 g of liquorice sweets.”

Fifty grams, for those countries still in the paleolithic age, works out to about 1 3/4 ounces.  Or about five 7-inchTwizzlers.

• Dane says:

Yes, PaulR, I did plenty of googling. What I am asking about is licorice ROOT, not licorice SWEETS. Google has plenty of information on licorice sweets, which are made from licorice extract, but not on licorice root. Licorice tea is made from the root, not the extract. If you think licorice extract has the same chemical content ratio as licorice root, maybe you should do some more googling.

12. aynrandspenismighty says:

…and the fact that licorice is made from old, used tires.

13. Bobsyeruncle says:

Mmm. Licorice.  The good stuff is too rare and too expensive to OD on.  Insist on RJ’s or Black Opal.  You gotta feel a little sorry for the poster drooling over Panda. ;)

14. and here i was:proud, as a foreign speaker, to know words like “effervescent” and “abbroachment”  -
    but “de-glycyrrhizinated” is really upping the ante.   ;)

15. Guest says:

I’m not surprised.  Consumption of black licorice does seem to increase with age, sagacity and refined tastebuds, and just when the gettin’ gets good the health flags go up.

You ken just hush up, Petersen, and eat your candy corn!

16. marc anthony says:

Wouldn’t taking supplemental potassium negate the affect?

17. skeptacally says:

first the candy hierarchy and now this.  what, exactly, boingboing do you have against us licorice eaters?

18. chgoliz says:

I learned this the hard way.  The unexpected arrhythmia was scary enough that it caused me to stop eating licorice entirely.

Somehow I have to get over the fear, though; the stuff is simply too good to avoid forever.

19. Jammi Evil says:

What’s even more suspicious:
    Ammonium chloride, better known as sal ammoniac.
    I love eating salty liquorice, but this can cause Ammonium chloride acidosis.

20. peregrinus says:

Bananas contain lots of potassium – and you can od on those!  So banana-wolfing competitions should have a liquorice chaser every banana.  Or is that bad science?  I’m off to try!

Bitter almonds are the ones that got me worried – high arsenic content, which I only learned after eating too many for too many days, and googling the association I experienced between arrythmia and almonds.  It was all a bit worrying.

21. Guest says:

This news has really put a dampener on my ‘licorice and cocaine’ parties.

22.  …and that’s why I’ll stick to my Jolly Rancher hard candies, thank you very much.

23. Carl Berglund says:

And here I am with a whole year to save my nickels and dimes so that I can give every trick-or-treater a pound bag just for themselves…

24. Tchoutoye says:

Usually I manage to stay off the stuff, but I when I have a bag I can’t stop the binge, well into a state of nausea, until the 230 gram (8 oz.) bag is empty. Just reading about licorice now makes me want to rush out and get some.

Anyone knows why it can be so addictive?

25. pjcamp says:

I’m glad to see that something that tastes like Satan’s ass has been proven to be bad for you.

Let the wife-taunting begin!

26. Wayne Dyer says:

Deglycyrrhizinated licorice is available in supplement form for heartburn control.   The same “features” around the sore throat use are exploited there.  I’m not sure if the same is available as a tea though.

27. Vic Tanner says:

• William says:

“Yes, but the only people that eat black licorice are frighteningly close to death anyway.”

And that’s the true origin of the saying, “once you go black, you never come back”. People think it’s a race thing. Silly non-licorice eaters.

28. Aaron Swain says:

I’m tellin’!  Maggie’s gonna kick your ass for spreading all this anti-licorice propaganda…

29. areaman70 says:

This is just such ancient “news”.  There are medicinal uses of licorice and preparations of deglycyrrhizinated licorice were made available about 15-20 years ago at least.

30. ECG Online says:

But if you have a medical condition called POTS, Postural Orthastatic Tachcardia this stuff can help with keeping your Blood pressure up. it’s acts in the same way as a drug called Fludrocortisone (a steroid) which robs your potassium and turns it to salt, or whatever it does it has the same effect. Liquorice is natures equivalent of this drug.

To much of any mineral can cause palpitations, potassium, salt or magnesium