11 Responses to “New Yorkers in Marie Antoinette costumes throw Let Them Eat Cake protest at mayor's mansion”

1. Tyler Riddle says:

If they are so intent on repeating history surely they are ready to put their necks in the guillotine!

2. Halloween Jack says:

At first, I thought that you were saying that they threw the cake itself at the mansion, and I was all like, “Damn, that’s a waste of one fine-ass cake.”

• Pag says:

Throwing cakes at the mayor’s mansion would have been a memorable method of protest, that’s for sure. Waste of delicious cake though.

3. adamacus says:

Am I going to have to be the insufferable jerk who mentions that the “Let them eat cake” quote has been incorrectly attributed to Marie Antoinette?  Ugh, yeah, I guess so.

4. Navin_Johnson says:

These kind of actions are great.  Would love to see more public shaming at these high dollar private events.

5. Bankara says:

I hate to point out that our Mr. Burns-like Billionaire Mayor has never resided at Gracie Mansion.  Apparently, it isn’t up to his standards of luxury.
    Edited to add: it probably falls to his underpaid cleaning staff to have to clean the cake off of the mansion, which kind of sucks for them. A fine gesture but not winning any support for the movement from the folks who have to work there.

6. VerySincerely says:

The irony is that “let them eat cake” was the supposed response to the issue of the masses having no bread to eat. But in this case, if the people can afford not only to buy cake, but also to throw it away instead of eating it, well, they’re really not that hungry.

7. Mark Wintle says:

I see some replies here are having a comprehension problem, the word Throw in the headline is throw as in throw a party not throw as in throw a baseball. No cake was thrown at anything.

8. The cake of the Empire in their supple hands.

9. Bankara says:

I stand corrected, sir.  I saw ‘cake’ and ‘throw’ in the same sentence and my imagination ran inevitably amok.

10. Dr.Gee says:

dont forget about the overly oppressive “curb your pet laws”.