Preservation Hall Jazz Band: old time jazz from New Orleans

15 Responses to “Preservation Hall Jazz Band: old time jazz from New Orleans”

1. Pickleschlitz says:

I’ve been to Preservation Hall too, and my impression was that the PHJB is a lot better live than on CD. For recorded Trad Jazz, I really like the stuff on the Good Times Jazz label from the late 50s… In particular the Firehouse Five. George Probert is a genius on the soprano sax.

2. Such an institution.  My dad was a huge jazz fan and would haul me to Preservation Hall in the early 70s.  I took my son there a few years ago – I think it still has the same pillows on the floor.  The quarter has pretty much turned into a frat party – a lot of the best music has moved down to Frenchmen Street.

3. dylan fogle says:

Spotify has it…

4. Pickleschlitz says:

Almost forgot! Kid Ory.

5. Spikester says:

“American Legacies” is brilliant.  A collaboration with The Del McCoury Band, it’s an outstanding blend of Bluegrass and Dixieland.

6. Patrick says:

The American Legacies Album is available on Spotify.  :)

7. dorkus1218 says:

They played at my family’s nightclub this summer! (FitzGerald’s in Berwyn, IL) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t5mzNEXkKN4 and I shot this video. They’re a great time…

8. Pickleschlitz says:

Maybe they could record an album with Die Antwoord!

9. J Foote says:

We saw the Preservation Hall Jazz Band this summer in Santa Fe when they were touring. Outstanding live.

10. Egypt Urnash says:

When I want a taste of home, I keep on ending up with Dr. John. Either his completely insane first album Gris-Gris, or his much later Goin’ Back To New Orleans.

Maybe it’s just because he was everywhere growing up in New Orleans in the seventies, I dunno.

11. Absorbine_Sr says:

We saw them open for the Trucks-Tedeschi band in Chicago last August and they brought the house down. One of the few times when I saw the opening act cause the crowd to shut up and listen.

12. pjcamp says:

You need to catch up on the rest of NO. Preservation Hall is just the tip of the iceberg. Watching the first two seasons of Treme is a good place to start. There, you’ll learn about Kermit Ruffins and John Boutte’ and the Rebirth Brass Band. Or you could just go here:

and start listening. All the old and new guys appear eventually. I’ve seen a few people on their that I recognize from the street in NO, including a stunning clarinet player whose band is in Jackson Square every day. I don’t think she’s ever recorded.

Dr. John did two albums in the 80′s, just the man and his piano. DJ Plays Mac Rebennack is the best of the two and kind of legendary. Dorothy, Mac’s Boogie and Saints can’t fail to bring a smile.

Oh, and I spent an evening in the Preservation Hall some years ago when someone talked them into playing Summertime. It is hardly a traditional song, but they nailed it.

13. Nathan Ramsay says:

I have not listened to the album, but I did have the opportunity to see  the Preservation Hall Jazz Band play with the Del McCoury Band at the Winnipeg Folk Festival. It truly  a surreal experience.

14. John MacDougall says:

They’re opening up a west coast venue soon – down on Valencia St or there a bouts.

15. Auger says:

Hey, you got your Tom Waits in my Preservation hall jazz band!  . . . YOU got your Preservation hall jazz band in my Tom Waits!

I’m no expert, but I think there are multiple bands – a touring one and a house one.  I’ll have to check out that album – as well as the stuff  posted above by pjcamp, but this one was always my favorite of theirs ever since I saw them live a few years ago (sadly not actually IN preservation hall)