A ride on NASA's flying telescope

17 Responses to “A ride on NASA's flying telescope”

1. awjt says:

Whoah.  I didn’t even know that thing existed until reading this post!

2. IamInnocent says:

Thank you Maggie. :)
    One can also learn more about it whatching http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=lnw6jY-iUI8 , starting at around 14′ 30″.
    Apparently I accidentally discovered how to link to a precise point in a Youtube stream but, of course the rest is worth watching as well.

3. f16freek says:

How do I earmark my tax dollars to be spent on this instead of bombs?

4. galileo126 says:

It’s spelled SOFIA, not sophia. It’s the acronym for: Stratospheric Observatory For Infrared Astronomy, and not a girl’s name.

**aarrgghh**

5. manicbassman says:

I’m looking at that thing and wondering just how do they deal with the buffet from that massive open edge

• Bruno Bruno says:

Fairing System, the aluminum fore (front) part of the open port cavity, precisely angled to minimize the drag and aerodynamic disturbances caused by the door and track system. of the doors and aperture.

6. unklstuart says:

Darn auto correct.

• I’m sure that autocorrect makes me look like an idiot more than it saves me from looking like an idiot.  At least a miss-spelled word is normally comprehensible, rather than another, seemingly random word dropped in a sentence.

But the annoying thing is it still speeds up my typing, picking up a lot of basic typos… it’s a damned if I do, damned if I don’t situation :(

7. Daniel Höllisch says:

SOFIA is a joint NASA – DLR project. Interesting that nobody noticed that there are two logos on the plane.

8. AA says:

…Massive slit scans….Massive, massive slit scans!