Jaw-dropping northern lights

9 Responses to “Jaw-dropping northern lights”

1. iamlegion says:

Bowie in the sky, with hairspray.

2. BrotherPower says:

Let’s not fight, people. Not when we live in a world with beauty like that. ‘kay?

3. jmartcougar says:

northern lights are creepy

4. scionofgrace says:

Stunning.

5. Rich Keller says:

Yeah. Wow! I haven’t seen many auruora in person because they get obscured by the Chicago borealis.

Now, what’s the scientific explanation as to why we like this kind of thing? We can’t eat it and we can’t breed with it, (except maybe Lavinny Whately). But it’s beautiful to us and I wonder why sometimes.

6. irksome says:

To this day, the most beautiful thing I ever witnessed was the display in Reyjavik (despite ambient light), October of 1984; it covered 270 degrees of the sky, incorporated the full spectrum of color and it made a noise. I was freezing but I couldn’t pull myself away.

In my life I’ve also witnessed birth, death, Scott Russell winning the Daytona 200 despite crashing his bike on the first lap and Rostropovich’s first concert at Carnegie Hall following his departure from the USSR; nothing compares to that night.

7. Susan Carley Oliver says:

Are those meteorites as well, streaking through?

(@irksome – it covered 270 degrees of the sky? Not sure how this is possible; regardless, it sounds stunning, and how wonderful that you have this moment in your life!)

8. MelSkunk says:

How sad is it that I saw this exact image first photoshopped to look like a My Little Pony (the pony in question has an aurora-like mane, so it wasn’t a total non-sequitor)

9. Depro9 says:

Nikola Tesla wanted to create artificial northern lights around the planet to light cities at night. He would achieve this the same way the sun creates the ones you see in this pic via high frequency energy blasted into the atmosphere. Cool guy that Tesla. ;)