Neil deGrasse Tyson's Symphony of Science

18 Responses to “Neil deGrasse Tyson's Symphony of Science”

1. Haunting and beautiful and stirring. Another gem.

2. I think Symphony of Science makes me happier then just about anything else ever.

3. irksome says:

Good Lip Reading?

Very nice. And normally, my Auto-Tune™ allergy causes me to break out in Billy Holiday.

4. Guest says:

I love to listen to Neil; his enthusiasm for science is infectious.  What kid wouldn’t want to be an astrophysicist after one of his lectures!

5. marilove says:

He was just on the Nerdist podcast and it was AWESOME!

6. Mike Norman says:

Am I the only person on Earth who doesn’t like Niel deGrasse Tyson? Am I the only one who finds his saccharine delivery to be a completely contrived inflection of wonder?

Yay science and all, really. I just wish he was a bit less pseudo-profound. And, yes, I know it’s like hating puppies or ice cream. I’m sorry.

• jerwin says:

Have you read his books? Are those, in your opinion, pseudo-profound?

• marilove says:

He sounds like an enthusiastic teacher or professor with a knack for explaining things in an entertaining and interesting way, so that just about everyone can understand.  In fact, that’s exactly what he is, essentially. Except he gets paid a lot to do it.

Haven’t you had a teacher or professor like that?  It’s a shame if you haven’t.

• Sekino says:

If Neil deGrasse Tyson’s  ‘pseudo-profound inflections of wonder’ get on your nerves, do yourself a favour and never, ever listen to Carl Sagan.

(I think both of them are earnest, passionate and wonderful speakers)

7. jerwin says:

Neil subjects himself to AutoTune

But I can’t help thinking that it would have been better to autotune him at a lower octave. The symphony of science version sounds a bit wan. His real voice is excited, and droll, and engaging, and unfortunately this just makes him sounds like he’s just a cheap Sagan knockoff– without Sagan’s interesting accent.

8. Timothy Reeves says:

It’s nice but it’s a song, not a symphony.

9. RJ says:

I like Neil deGrasse Tyson the way a lot of people like Carl Sagan. The guy brings a bit of personality to a subject that can easily turn dry and technical. So… he keeps it rather damp and obtuse, I believe is what I’m saying. I thought I was making a compliment, but now I’m not so sure.

Anyway, I like the guy and this video brightened my evening.

10. benher says:

It’s a reference to an entire sphere of music inspired by science not just a single song… But you get pedant points!

11. Wow, I watch that with awe and wonder. Then the next view is of the insane silliness of what is considered important and common sense in the mass media consciousness. If instead of allowing our futures to be stolen and destroyed by a small number of financial parasites and their political cronies who believe in a zeros sum game, we could be working together and have the Universe.

12. Lobster says:

Only way this could have been better is with a brief, “let me give you an introduction to the physics of magnetism” section.  Symphony of Science VS. Carnival of Carnage!

13. lilith says:

I was kind of hoping to hear the planetary signals … Gods I’m such a nerd.

14. bonzie says:

I love Sagan and NDT, but I do not understand the appeal of these Symphony of Science things. The music is sappy and unmoving, and the repetition of two-second soundbites just makes me cringe. Are the original, unedited lectures not engaging and awe-inspiring enough?