Friday Freak-Out: Eric Burdon and War play "Tobacco Road" (1970)

10 Responses to “Friday Freak-Out: Eric Burdon and War play "Tobacco Road" (1970)”

1. geobarefoot says:

Fantastic!  One important thing, though, it’s WAR.  I’m not normally a niggler, but a band as bitchin’ as WAR deserves all caps.  And Lee Oskar…best Danish afro to ever grace a stage.

2. jarmstrong says:

Correct on all points.

3. Henrix Gudmundsson says:

Thank you. I’m off to listen to some more old Burdon. Again. (My girlfriend probably hates you in, say, ten minutes from now.)

4. dr says:

I went to see Burdon when he was on tour around 10 years ago.   Decades of singing in his characteristic raw style obviously had had a lasting effect on his voice, which was pretty much completely shot.  Sadly, the best part of the concert was the warm-up act, Peter Noone (from Herman’s Hermits), who did a fantastic set of impressions of other aging rockers on tour.

5. dbcooper_0 says:

Suggested future friday freak out:

Can – Paperhouse.  Live  on German TV, 1972.

6. Antinous / Moderator says:

I’ve been watching tons of 60s and 70s music videos on YouTube lately, and the conclusion of my research is that I fucking love Eric Burdon.  I love the contrast of how deliriously happy he seems in this video versus House of the Rising Sun, where he looks like he might bite anybody who gets too close.

7. geobarefoot says:

Let me just add “A Girl Named Sandoz” to the list of tunes that Eric Burdon KILLED.  That song is so downtuned and heavy that I bet even Black Sabbath peed their school boy knickers.  Smashing Pumpkins went on to redo it, but really, you never redo a song like that.

8. pjcamp says:

OK, that was good.

9. rastronomicals says:

Let me tell ya about the Blues Magoos, Holmes . . . .

10. s2redux says:

Not to take away from Eric and the gang, but if you’re going to mention Tobacco Road exemplars by Jackson 5 and Rawls, the scales should be balanced by adding Edgar Winter and his White Trash to Burdon’s name on the list of arrangements sine qua non. YouTube doesn’t do the work justice; find a copy of the Roadwork album (and get ready for the kick-ass-iest version of Barry’s Back in the U.S.A. you’ve ever heard, among others by Otis, Wonder, and Derringer ;-)