24 Responses to “Massive rally at UC Davis, some protesters carrying "pepper-spraying cop" meme-signs”

1. Paul Collins says:

Live video feed is on ABC News 10: http://www.news10.net/video/liveonline/default.aspx

2. D. Keith Higgs says:

Hes, I’m a semantic twit.  Those are stakes, not poles.

Otherwise, continuing prayers for peaceful protest actually getting the point across.

3. Andy says:

LIVE feed from UC Davis college radio station KDVS! Their studios are mere feet from the action! http://www.kdvs.org

4. GeekMan says:

This story makes me tremendously angry; what a horrible abuse of authority. Here’s hoping Chancellor Katehi and Lt Pike both (rightly) lose their positions.

5. Kevin Pierce says:

Of course there’s “Nothing To See Here”…..  when your eyes are full of capsaicin extract!

6. EH says:

Meanwhile Pike doesn’t have to pay attention to any of these people he hates anymore.

Well played, sir.

7. Alex Wild says:

Love it.

The bearded dude on the right who looks like he might be homeless is in fact a UC professor, the noted lepidopterist Art Shapiro. Shapiro wrote an eloquent letter to Katehi here:

8. Lobster says:

Occupy North Pole!

9. I ended up only being able to get this UC Davis livestream to load by loading it in VLC using “Open network stream”: http://mfile.akamai.com/12883/live/reflector:50830.asx

Hopefully it helps someone.

10. jlar says:

Can’t. Stop. Being. Pedantic. . . .
    Those are tent *stakes* not poles.

11. TJ says:

Here’s an update from the quad.  Symbolic tents have joined the flowers.

12. Guest says:

Katehi won’t make it through the week in her current job. Sucks to be her, too bad she did such a terrible job when faced with a tough decision. [cue sad trombone]

• Where is she going to go?  I’ve worked for the UC for a long time, and these Chancellors are beyond reproach.  She obviously isn’t going to do the honorable thing and resign, and the only way for her to lose her job is if the UC President fires her.  I don’t see that happening.

I don’t know how it works with other Universities, but UC Chancellors are treated like dignitaries everywhere they go.  They tend to have an air of arrogance and superiority about them (from my personal observations).  They are not democratically elected to their position and have very high salary, and basically define the ‘ivory tower’ metaphor.  For instance, Ms. Katehi was appointed due to her national recognition by George W. Bush, and has an annual salary of $400,000.  She will hold onto that job with clenched claws as long as she is legally allowed to.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

I don’t know how it works with other Universities, but UC Chancellors are treated like dignitaries everywhere they go. They tend to have an air of arrogance and superiority about them (from my personal observations).

At UCSF, the chancellors are generally physicians who work at UCSF. I’ve known two of them quite well. Everybody who works in the hospital knows them because they’re essentially co-workers. I guess it’s a bit different at Davis.

• Yeah, I guess it’s different at UCLA, too.  The Chancellor here walks around with an ominous Secret Service-like security detail and most of the interactions I’ve had with his office have been less than pleasant.  I just assumed they were like that across the board; glad to know there are decent ones!

(I hope I don’t get fired for this)

• Guest says:

She currently acting as a sapper against said Ivory Tower. She will spend more time with her family soon.

13. vette says:

In school today we learned not to trust authorities.

14. Itsumishi says:

You’ve got a dead link there, the “Update: Katehi apologizes but doesn’t resign.” one.

15. skyhawk1 says:

Pepper spraying cop has done more for OWS movement than realized.

16. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

Maybe we are making progress as a people, it didn’t take them shooting guns at unarmed students to cause outrage in the public.