Teenagers: Enter YouTube Space Lab competition by December 14

12 Responses to “Teenagers: Enter YouTube Space Lab competition by December 14”

1. AbleBakerCharlie says:

If anyone is a teenager through whom I could live vicariously by feeding them with brilliant ideas, please step forward. Qualifications for rocking the shit out of science fairs available upon request.

2. Vanwall Green says:

“We need children who aren’t afraid to live outside the law of gravity! Families who like to live in tubes and push buttons!”

3. Alvis says:

Sucks to be a 13-year-old.  Teenage, finally, but no contest for you!

4. yragentman says:

the link seems broken – I get a security notice and then a YouTube blocked message

5. flagler23 says:

I’m glad to know that the space station is finally redeeming its multi-billion dollar cost now that  real intellectual power is being brought to bear on the best uses for its laboratory environment.  Outsourcing scientific inquiry to kids should also save money and reduce the costs of funding research.  This is just brilliant.

• Concern troll, please.

There is clearly a difference between “Aw, fuck it. Let’s just let kids do the science. It’s not like this equipment is really valuable” and “Hey, maybe we should inspire the next generation of researchers who will continue to make this investment valuable in the future.”

If you have to reach this much to whine about how your taxes are being wasted on science, it’s time to find a new pet issue.

6. technogeekagain says:

Unfortunately, the young lady whom I’m sure would be interested is under the age range… so I hope they continue this in future years.

In fact, I’ll hope that even if she isn’t interested. One of the huge effects of the race to the moon was that it produced a generation which was enthusiastic about science, engineering, and math. We desperately need that attitude again.

(And, yeah, I envy the kids. I’ve got my own pet project which I’d like to see attempted, if it hasn’t already been done; it *might* be a solution to the problem of growing ultrapure, ultraperfect crystals, which has long been the canonical example of a manufacturing process which might benefit from being performed in microgravity.)

7. ‘If you’re between the ages of 14 and 18, and you live on Earth, you can enter. Do it. Seriously. There are grown-ups who want to live vicariously through you.’

dat sentence.

even if i was within ht eage group i wouldent have any ideas for experiment othe then some sort of quantitive test on how much fun i could have in zero-g if they took me to the space station.

8. CP-S says:

I thought I would never ever want to be a teenager again. Guess I was wrong.

9. Arthur Pershing says:

Any of you kids stuck for an idea use “How zero gravity affects intercourse and conception!”