The Buddha Machine is a fantastically-fun little gadget that plays loops of experimental music. It's very low-fi, simple, inexpensive ($23!), and still wonderfully entrancing. Of course, there's also a Buddha Machine iPad app and I'm told that for the next 5 days, it's free!
Buddha Machine (Forced Exposure)
Of course, my favorite of the Buddha Machines is the limited edition Gristleism model, filled with loops composed by Throbbing Gristle.
- Buddha Machine 2: revenge of the ambient music transistor radio ...
- If You Meet the Buddha Machine on the Road, Hack It - Boing Boing
- GRISTLEISM: Throbbing Gristle's unusual new "box set" - Boing Boing
- Buddha Machine: spiritual, generative transistor radio - Boing Boing
- Musician releases songs in a $23 electronic gizmo - Boing Boing
David Pescovitz is Boing Boing's co-editor/managing partner. He's also a research director at Institute for the Future. On Instagram, he's @pesco.