Giant plastic log cabin ad, 1960

20 Responses to “Giant plastic log cabin ad, 1960”

1. Uncle Wilco says:

Cory, You need a shed instead of a log cabin – or a better still a TARDIS shed in your flat http://www.readersheds.co.uk/share.cfm?shedtype=Tardis

2. taras says:

“Well, I was going to buy one, then I thought, what the heck, let’s get five.”

3. Bob Cronin says:

Art Speigelman did a comic about this very item in his BREAKDOWNS book. He actually purchased one as a child, and yes, it was terrible!

4. fuzzmello says:

speaking from experience, that ad should have declaimed: ‘card table or dining table not included’. it was a plastic sheath that slipped not so squarely over a standard fold-up card table.  the peaks were held upright with wood dowels, i believe.

hard to remember as it only lasted about 25 minutes on the friday night my mom let us try it out.  definitely not for out doors.

5. Lemoutan says:

Is that price right? One dollar? Seems way too cheap, even for 1960. Although as easy to make as a plastic bucket, how was the design printed for that price? Wouldn’t the whole thing blow away in a light wind?

6. teknocholer says:

If the interior is 23 cubic feet, this is not “9 ft. square”, but 9 square feet, i.e. 3×3 ft. The claim should not be “Big enough for 2-3 kids to ‘Live’ in”, but “Big enough for 2-3 kids to fit in and still live, at least briefly”.

The refrigerator crate my kids had so much fun in years ago measured over 36 cubic feet, (that’s a small fridge), and they got to cut windows and decorate it any way they wanted.

7. Thorzdad says:

I saw these ads in the back of comic books all the time as a kid. I always wanted one (of course) and never met another kid who had one.

8. LightningRose says:

I talked my mom into buying me one. It was nothing more than a printed plastic sheet that had to be draped over a folding card table. Two cardboard triangles sat on top of the table to provide a peak for the roof.

Definitely a POS and a big disappointment for my 6 year old self.

9. Hamish Grant says:

The Art Speigelman piece also appeared in the October 17, 2005 issue of the New Yorker:

10. Dock Salvage says:

Yeah, according to Spiegelman, you got a crummy plastic bag/tent printed with a log cabin design that you were supposed to drape over a card table.

11. Ken Fruit says:

If you are into old ads of that ilk, you can find complete issues of Boy’s Life online starting in the 50′s.

12. robdobbs says:

It’s prolly in this book:Mail-Order Mysteries: Real Stuff from Old Comic Book Ads! http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/160887026X/

13. I must be getting old…I remember seeing this ad in comics when I was a lad.

14. Donald Petersen says:

Wow.  When I saw the ad, I thought (as many a disappointed kid probably did) that they were representing something like one of these, one of which my kids have, purchased second- or thirdhand at a yard sale for $50.  Since the new price is $400 (plus shipping), I was amazed at the screaming deal the kids of yesteryear got.

But of course the plastic card-table tent is actually worth about $1 (in today’s money), so my excitement has waned.

15. taras says:

This ad reminded me of this.

16. pjcamp says:

Well, if you really want one, I’m sure there are still dozens of these polyethylene monstrosities in pristine condition at the bottom of hundreds of landfills.

17. BarBarSeven says:

We know where you live Billy. Doesn’t matter how strong the door is… Or the walls are… Or the windows are, Billy. You’re going to need more than a gun and a coonskin cap to stop us.

We’re coming Billy. Coming to your fancy log cabin, Billy. Coming to finally settle this score.

18. Halloween_Jack says:

My dad was a general contractor, and for our playhouse he brought home a small cabin that I’m pretty sure started life as a Little League ballpark snack shack (it had a big, open window on the front), which he put on stilts in the back yard and made a sandbox underneath it. We were the envy of the neighborhood.