Motorola "House of the Future" ads from the 1960s, painted by Charles Schridde

16 Responses to “Motorola "House of the Future" ads from the 1960s, painted by Charles Schridde”

1. nixiebunny says:

They were quite futuristic at the time. We used to have a Motorola Astronaut TV, a 19″ B&W portable in a suitcase enclosure that could be run (for a few minutes, I assume) from batteries. It was released in 1961, and featured a lot of transistors inside.

2. mongo says:

Thanks, for the tip, Cory!

I ordered the book for 99 cents from Amazon. Don’t spend your 2 cent commission all at once.

I wish there were large format versions of the paintings to frame and display around my geek toys.

3. Dv Revolutionary says:

The steps look like the underside of Fallingwater where there is a stairway that descends from the house to a natural pool under the house. There is a lot of re-imagined Fallingwater in these ads.

4. Brainspore says:

Reminds me of Edna Mode’s place.

5. Michael Leddy says:

Looks like the NY Apple Store, sort of.

6. Eric Schreiber says:

I think the stairs are inspired by the GM Technical Research Center designed by Eero Saarinen.  You can see photos here:
    And here:

7. The thing that always strikes me about that particular style of “here’s how we’ll live in the Future” advertising is how much empty space and green scenery surrounds the houses. Rarely do we see the neighbors.

8. GawainLavers says:

Man, gas is cheap in the paleofuture.

• Brainspore says:

Don’t be ridiculous, global warming took care of that. That’s just holo-snow outside, rendered for purely nostalgic purposes. Or maybe ash from the nuclear holocaust.

9. taras says:

Everyone in the future always wore lycra bodysuits. I guess we’ll have to make do with jeggings.

• GregS says:

> Everyone in the future always wore lycra bodysuits.

That was before they realized that the future would be corpulent.

10. penguinchris says:

The second ad features a house that looks heavily inspired by the so-called Vandamm House from the Hitchcock film North by Northwest, which, sadly, was not a real house (which I didn’t realize until looking for a photo of it just now, because it looks real in the film) – which was meant to look like a Frank Lloyd Wright house. In the film it’s supposedly atop Mt. Rushmore, like the one in the ad is atop a hill.

11. merryswan says:

Oh my god.  His daughter was one of my best friends in junior high school.  I didn’t even know he painted. I used to check my dad’s car magazines to see if the cover credits had his name, and often they did!

12. Ryan Lenethen says:

Clearly in the future we will all be slaves to Giants who will buy our loyalty to crappy electronics.

13. ah, the good ol’ days when you could talk about electronics with serif fonts.

14. Alan Royle says:

Apparently the future was all about architecture because we were all satisfied with the electronics we already had.