HOWTO make a terrarium inside a Christmas ornament

9 Responses to “HOWTO make a terrarium inside a Christmas ornament”

1. thehighandlow says:

I did this a few years ago and it didn’t turn out as well as I expected. The glass ornaments are SOOOOOO fragile! They break if you even breathe on them too hard.

2. chaopoiesis says:

Oh man, this post makes my heart sing.

I’m already seeing a Christmas tree hung with clear glass ornaments containing tiny living Christmas trees, each of which is hung with ultra-tiny clear glass ornaments…

3. Rich Keller says:

This would be fun to do to bring life to an artificial tree. I have a couple of metal table top trees I could decortate with these. I want to make aquarium ornaments with sea monkeys living in them, too.

4. Brainspore says:

A real terrarium buff would just build a giant glass dome over their Christmas tree.

5. Guest says:

What an amazing idea! I’m not Christian myself, but I have to say this would look beautiful on a tree. And Christian or not, I’d love to have some of these hanging around the house year round.

6. Morkl says:

I want one with an ant farm in it.

7. Melinda9 says:

I don’t know if it’s because of where I live [CT (damp and humid)], but every terrarium I make ends up growing fungi and mold and the plants die. Very discouraging because I would love to have a terrarium. But I’m going to try these ornaments – maybe just with moss (of which I have plenty on the bricks in back) and little rocks or objects.

8. Kimmo says:

How feasible would it be to attempt to create a relatively self-sustaining ecosystem in such a small space, I wonder…?

Also, I feel the need to mention that I recently discovered the game Terraria, and it’s swallowing my life whole.

9. Peter Gordon says:

I just can’t handle those click through steps… just put it all on the one page!!