New science in the ruins of Biosphere 2

10 Responses to “New science in the ruins of Biosphere 2”

1. David Forbes says:

I never did understand why they built a greenhouse in southern Arizona.

I have a couple friends who were bionauts in the second mission. The second mission was the one in which they sent a farmer in there as well as scientists and visionaries, and they didn’t starve so much. The first crew was not quite as experienced at keeping themselves alive.

• awjt says:

Yeah, it should have been on the Canadian tundra or on Antarctica.  The far extreme where the sun is weak and the environment sucks.  As close to being like our dear red sister planet as we can get on earth.

2. Blaise Pascal says:

Hey, cool article. I was at the Biosphere as well…about 3 months ago. Here’s a link to 51 pictures I took. My favourites are of the diaphragm “lung” which equalizes the pressure in the dome. They are #’s 2206-2208.

Their ocean was just getting back to health, and you can see some nice “sea gunk” in #’s 2217 & 2218.

3. Andrew Wolf says:

Man Pauly Shore really screwed that experiment up.

4. CSBD says:

I wish they could have continued this research with the goal of setting up an enclosed (but simple) biosphere on Mars for the first group of permanent colonists.

Also, if you are looking for neat architecture in Arizona, there is always Arcosanti.

Maybe some sort of hybrid of design philosophy would help out a bit when constructing a habitat… as someone commented above, you need farmers to grow food because many scientists are not so good at it

5. Damian says:

There must be something in the expanse of empty unusable land that invites experimentation: http://blog.furkot.com/experiment

6. michael b says:

We went there, but couldn’t for the life of me imagine why someone would pony up $20 per person to walk through it.  No thanks.

• Guest says:

I was driving out of Tucson for a business trip one day and I saw the turnoff sign… how could I not go? 20 Bucks, no thanks. I was content to stay outside, where it is quite lovely.

7. DouglasLucchetti says:

Could researchers regulated the amount of CO2 in the interior to control the temperature? Seems like that would be a way to unequivocally determine just how effective a heat trapping blanket it is.