Touchscreen "one hand" watch

19 Responses to “Touchscreen "one hand" watch”

1. It doesn’t feel like 3:40, though. It just feels like 3:00

Part of what analog hands do is visualize data like a pie chart.

• retepslluerb says:

Yeah. “Couldn’t be easier”.  Yes, it could.

This, frankly, sucks big time.  It’s a nice piece of art, no more.

• Ben Ehlers says:

If time pieces are going to be rated by practicality, why wear a watch at all when I can just use my phone?

Wristwatches have only become visually interesting in the last decade precisely because of their inherent redundancy.

2. Grey Devil says:

Kind of underwhelming to be honest. The concept itself is pretty great, but the animations and look of the UI (for a lack of a better word) are far too basic than i was expecting. Still seeing this does make me look forward to similar watches and what kind of improvements they’ll make down the line.

3. dancharvey says:

Interesting that it was from a fan as well. They mentioned it wasn’t the first. I wonder what the others are like. Anyone know?

4. simenmm says:

Neat! But has it been jailbroken yet?

5. LogrusZed says:

Manufacturing quality, or perhaps just assembly, seems to be shit. The face is offset a few degrees counter-clockwise (no pun intended).

6. peterblue11 says:

ahhh. geeky watch design must be the worst geekery of them all. its not a good watch if you have to look at it 3 times before u work out the self indulgent design mechanism.

just have a normal clockface for christ sake. touch display is a good idea, but needs to be more predator 1 like :D

7. starfish and coffee says:

I hope the idea catches on, I wouldn’t mind a touch screen watch. But the design on this one was really tacky 90s stuff.

8. the lurch says:

Meh. I love watches, but this one is not-quite-ready.  The concept is fine, but it’s done better by an Apple iPod Nano and a Lunatik band kit.  Not only do you get several animated watch faces (Apple added several more recently) it’s still an iPod!

9. helder says:

What is it with those designers – do they not have any sense of practicality or use of colors any more – to have a black ring in Your wrist is awful looking.

10. gholtby says:

Hey, you know what’s ACTUALLY elegant and quick to read?  Your bog-standard old standard digital watch.

This takes all the disadvantages of digital and analog watches and combines them. Then it strips away all the reference points on the dial just to make it more unreadable.

11. SamSam says:

The typical problem of applying a digital mindset to an faux-analog design: 3:59 is not “3 plus some minutes,” it’s basically 4:00. If your design makes it look like it’s 3:00, then you’ve failed.

This is ok in vanilla digital watches, or funky watches that don’t look like analog watches, but if you’re going to make it look like an analog watch, people are going to read it like an analog watch.

This could have easily been resolved by having the hour hand actually point to where a regular hour hand would point.

12. emschelle says:

Dear Watch Makers,
    I appreciate the novelty of your watches. I love the idea of looking for alternative ways to tell time in a wearable format. That being said WHY DO THE COOL WATCHES ALWAYS HAVE TO BE SO HORKING ENORMOUS?
    Love,
    A lady with human-sized wrists
    P.S. I didn’t really like this particular design anyways. So there.

13. Bubba73 says:

Is it just me or does the guy in the video sound like a Scot who was abandoned in Tokyo as a child? Will someone please think of the wee bairns?

14. Trish Bennett says:

maybe he learned English in Scotland…

15. tylerkaraszewski says:

Maybe someone can make a light-up touchscreen landline phone next. Or a touchscreen alarm clock. Or some other thing that there’s no longer any reason to own in the age of smartphones.

16. pjcamp says:

Either he’s got little chicken arms or that’s one big ass watch. It’s like a glow in the dark hockey puck.

17. mjpw says:

I’ve had a Fossil watch for almost 10 years that has no numbers on it, only hands, and after 10 years, I sometimes still have to look at it for a few seconds to think about what the time really is. I wonder how long it would take me to get used to this one.

You can’t even call it elegant when the numbers look like the score display on an Atari 2600 game.