Lovejoy Lives!

22 Responses to “Lovejoy Lives!”

1. Andrew Singleton says:

For some reason this makes me inordinatly and implausably happy. Thanks for Sharing  Xeni.

2. Jesseham says:

Well you know it’s coming for us next…

3. pthree says:

Damn, I thought this article was going to be about Ian McShane. Oh well, comets are pretty cool too, I guess.

4. redesigned says:

…and here i thought it would go back in time and save some whales and give us the formula for clear aluminum.  *sighs* :-)

5. “It’s all over people, we don’t have a prayer!” -Rev. Lovejoy, on the approaching comet.

6. miasm says:

phew, just a little sunlight-bleaching.

7. Daemonworks says:

Did it find some drastically underpriced antiques that it could pick up for a song while it was there?

8. catcrobatics says:

why such a long video?

9. I love this line from the Sungrazing Comet page…
    “I don’t know where to begin. I simply don’t know. What an extraordinary 24hrs! I suppose the first thing to say is this: I was wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong. And I have never been so happy to be wrong! For the past two weeks I have been saying that Comet Lovejoy would not survive perihelion in “any appreciable form”. When I said this, I envisioned that we would see some very diffuse component maybe last a few hours after perhelion, but not much else. And I was spectacularly incorrect!”
    Yeah, astronomers get giddy.

10. bingobangoboy says:

The sun?

(edit: darn you, boing boing login thingy. This was supposed to be a reply.)

11. Stanley Potemkin says:

They can film a comet sailing through the sun’s corona but can’t figure out how to use an apostrophe. *sigh*

12. scifijazznik says:

Someone with skillz needs to enslowen and GIF-ify that video.  I sounded like all the lovers I’ve ever had when I watched that– “Three seconds?!!?”

13. shamocracy79 says:

No one remember being taught in school that comets are made of mostly ice?  I’m guessing scientists are now clarifying that theory to include the qualifer, “unmeltable”?

14. obeyken says:

It’s kind of like “Melancholia” but with a happy ending!

• ryuchi says:

i was to type to you “do you mean Tarkovsky’s ‘Melancholia’…?” and went to youtube to give you a link to a snipplet of the film, but discovered his film was rather called ‘Nostalghia’, and: WHOOAA! someone put the complete film on youtube!!! Check it friend, if you feel like it! here:

15. ryuchi says:

Yuppiii Lovejoy lives :D! in any case warrior takes any story and shapes their awareness so that the story affects them  in a enhancing way–in this case–Lovejoy continues its journey into the unknow,  yuppiiii :P

16. p_twiddy says:

YIPPEE-KI-YAY MUTHUFUKAZZZZ!!

A-hem.  Please excuse me.

17. DouglasLucchetti says:

It must be that the comet’s approach was at night.