So, Dog Cafes are a thing. I did not know this.

25 Responses to “So, Dog Cafes are a thing. I did not know this.”

1. Teirhan says:

D’aww.

one of my absolute favorite things about corgis is how through a quirk of genetics, it appears that any dog you cross-breed with a corgi ends up having offspring that look like a small, corgi-shaped version of whatever dog you started with.

This is especially cute with Australian shepherds, as there is something absolutely amazing about an Australian shepherd the size of a toaster oven.

2. Cat Cafes. Korea.
    Must not make the obvious joke. Must NOT make the obvious joke!

3. ill lich says:

“Cafe”?  The word comes from “coffee”. . . which is actually poisonous to dogs.  So maybe a better word is in order.

• EH says:

Yes! Or else people will think that it’s a place to take your dog and feed it coffee, thereby murdering it, FOR PROFIT.

• TheMudshark says:

Thank you for raising this very valid concern. Good job elaborating on the etymological relation of the words “cafe” and “coffee” as well.

4. SaberUK says:

One would prefer a doggirl cafe to a dog cafe. Japan has those as well.

5. Iain Marcks says:

NYC’s “Fetch Club” has a doggie cinema, spa, and nightclub. http://nyp.st/dxVpAh

6. 10xor01 says:

Around here it’s just called Starbucks.  It’s overrun with Canines on Saturday morning.

7. benher says:

There are dog and cat cafes all over Japan – there’s like 6 in my neighborhood… of course I’ve got my hands full at home with my own cats.

8. narddogz says:

I suddenly have a strong desire to locate a Corgi, roll it over and give it tummy rubs.

9. equilibrist says:

A local (Raleigh) chinese restaurant named Five Star has the tagline Hide’ your cats’ in all its ads and the website.

I enjoyed their Meow-Shu

10. Philbert says:

But seriously, are these cafés where they serve _to_ dogs, or where they serve dogs?

11. Iain Marcks says:

“Don’t go into that cafe! The rest of the book, To Serve Dog, it’s… it’s a cookbook!”

12. greggman says:

The first Dog cafe I saw in Japan was Three Dog Bakery in Daikanyama in 2001. I thought “Those crazy Japanese”. Then I looked it up. It was an AMERICAN COMAPNY with > 20 branches in the USA and 1 in Japan

13. XERXES says:

I live in Seoul, and was just at the dog Cafe Bau Haus the other day briefly with a couple dropping their dog off while they went out to the bars. Cat Cafe’s are fairly common in certain areas as well, and I’ve been to a few of those as well. The reasons for these to be in existence is fairly simple. People like dogs and cats, and usually do not have the space in their small apartment or the time commitment to have and care for a pet. So you end up paying about $8 for a coffee and hang out with the cats while chatting with your friend/date/significant other.. It’s especially nice for expats like me who miss their pets back home!

14. DamianGentry says:

I’ve been to a dog cafe in Osaka. Some of the nicest cutest pups.

15. Todd Tavares says:

What Xerxes said.  There are a ton of both cat and dog cafes here in Seoul.  I did once see a dog stick it’s tongue into a guest’s beer bottle in Bau Haus.  It  was only the second or third grossest thing I saw there.

16. Daemonworks says:

Didn’t see any dog cafes in Seoul, but did see a cat cafe. We did go to a dog restaurant, on the other hand – I’ve been informed that dog tastes like mutten (I stuck to chicken)

17. Jose Palacios says:

there’s 2 dog cafes in Ottawa, Canada.

18. chad woodbine says:

my brother-in-law owns a dog cafe in seoul, near Kongik University station. its a pretty good business. it is part dog hotel, part pet store and a place for people to bring their dogs to play with them and other dogs. cant say that I like going there, it is too noisy and not the greatest atmosphere (im not the biggest dog lover), however it is pretty popular and his customers seem to like it

19. Beth Cravens says:

Never really been to a dog cafe, but there was a bar here that would allow dogs to come in. The bartender always had a bag of dog treats behind the bar and one pooch became so regular that she had her own water bowl. Sadly that place has been bought out and now serves overpriced food and beer. No smoking, no dogs.