CC-licensed, Dickens-based, Pastifarian Christmas Carol kids' special

32 Responses to “CC-licensed, Dickens-based, Pastifarian Christmas Carol kids' special”

1. Nawel says:

It looks funny. I hope some spanish subs are available somewhere for further sharing

2. anarres says:

Nice video, but it’s disappointing the creators succumbed to the dreaded Smurfette Syndrome.

• UXO says:

“Smurfette Syndrome”?

I can’t find a link for a downloadable version, only streaming. Any suggestions?

• Robbo says:

Guilty as charged but not by design nor intent.  Within the Carol story itself Dickens didn’t give us a lot of female characters to work with – and our use of the one female character in the Bookshop sequences was due to lack of suitable characters in our stock supply of puppets.  I’m always bugged by the Smurfette Syndrome whenever I see it (all too often) in the works of others and I cringe now when you point that out in our own work.  All I can say is at least, unlike the Muppets and others, we always insist on female characters being played by by female puppeteers.  We’ll do better in future episodes.  Thanks for giving us the Zen rap on the noggin for that.

3. Stooge says:

Pastifarian!?

Blasphemy!!!

4. ArghMonkey says:

Good eye Cory!

I was lucky enough to attend the screening at the Revue Theatre.

I have been a cheerleader for Ruffus the dog for over a year now, since I watched one of the earlier episodes and immediately saw its value.

Rob is a super nice guy too, he made a quick custom Ruffus video for me a few months ago and refused any sort of payment, said it was just the sort of thing he enjoys doing.

5. Stefan Jones says:

That was very cute, but the FSM content was rather low.

Of course, ANY FSM content makes if infinitely more pastafarian than, say, Pinnochio’s Christmas or a Very Special Christmas Episode of Breaking Bad.

6. HahTse says:

I wonder how long it will take till the GEMA has it blocked in Germany…

7. Chris Muir says:

A Ze Frank mug, too!

• Robbo says:

Ah hah!  You recognized it.  Ze was kind enough to let us use that – we loved his Show and keep trying to find opportunities to reference it in our own stuff.

8. HahTse says:

I love it.

9. jill380 says:

One of the awesomest things about this project is that it features the work of some of Canada’s greatest and most experienced puppeteers doing it just for the love it.

10. KludgeGrrl says:

I know someone already asked, but no one has answered…  Is there a download link?  Anyone??

I would love to put this on my ipod for my son to watch while we’re traveling.

11. MelSkunk says:

I know I’ve seen this puppet on an ACTUAL kid’s show once. It’s going to bug me all day now

• Robbo says:

The show was Ruffus The Dog.  We were on the air back in the late ’90′s – and still showing in some territories.  The rights reverted back to us and we’ve been posting all the original shows to the net – and prepping new ones like this.

12. Robbo says:

There will be download links very soon for an SD version and the larger HD file.  We’d love for people to share this four ways from Sunday.  I’ll repost here when the links are ready.  Thanks for your interest.

13. Bobsyeruncle says:

Cool.  But why does Ruffus look like Rocko, the sociopathic dog puppet,  from Puppets Who Kill? :D

• Robbo says:

Well, actually, Ruffus came first and then there was Rocko – and while I was Executive Producer on Puppets Who Kill for the first season it was creator John Pattison who decided what he wanted Rocko to look like.  Distant cousins perhaps.  :)