Please take me to space: Letters to the Hayden Planetarium

11 Responses to “Please take me to space: Letters to the Hayden Planetarium”

1. awjt says:

He’s not thinking big enough.  He should be franchising the first hot stand on Mars.  That way it’s scalable and he can actually make some money.

2. Zack Braunstein says:

Hah. The hot dog letter reminds me of a lovely Ray Bradbury story in The Martian Chronicles. Ahah- this one:

• I was thinking the exact same thing! I always loved the one called “Night Meeting” where the Earthman and the Martian meet at night on a lonely road, both believing that the other is a phantom. Such a haunting story.

• dwasifar karalahishipoor says:

I’ll go you one better.  I just finished re-reading The Martian Chronicles, not 90 minutes before encountering this BoingBoing post, and the hot dog stand story was part of what i read this evening.

3. alice says:

this guy definitely has to be C.M.O.T. Dibbler’s dopple

4. Brainspore says:

This reminds me of a great collection of “Letters to the Mt. Wilson Observatory” on display at the Museum of Jurassic Technology in Culver City, CA. Some of them make this gentleman’s hot dog stand idea sound like a well-thought-out business plan:

5. show me says:

I don’t know if it’s related, but when I was in second grade around 1969-70 I found a book in my school’s library that said at the back they were offering trips to the Moon and Mars. I excitedly showed it to my teacher and she mimeographed (!) the order form and I filled it out and sent it in. I got a reply back saying that although they appreciated my interest, they didn’t yet have the ability to fulfill such a trip they appreciated my interest. If only I could find that reply letter! It’s probably still in my mom’s house. Ah, the memories.

6. Gilbert Wham says:

I am with Barbara; I still ain’t on that rocket, and I’m NOT content.

7. Rodney Hoffman says:

I still have my Pan Am First Moon Flights Club card.  When I was a kid, I hoped to spend Dec. 31, 1999 on the moon.

8. David Carroll says:

So not Hayden Panettiere after all.