Photos of disappointing items from old comic book ads

12 Responses to “Photos of disappointing items from old comic book ads”

1. ahecht says:

What is b’g a contraction for? If it’s supposed to be “big”, I can’t imagine it saved them much space at all.

2. Navin_Johnson says:

Ha, I’ve got that “Spook Hand” stashed away somewhere.  More appreciated for its packaging than anything else.  As kids we stupidly bought the chest of army men too, it was a good lesson in life.

3. EH says:

It only took a crappy rubber cockroach to cause me to smash a pellet-gun stock into my face last week.

4. A point raised endlessly, I know, but no mail order disappointment will ever top the realization that sea monkeys are by no means a species of tiny aquatic ape.

5. Christopher says:

You know what’s really disappointing? He has a picture of the hover car ad but no picture of the hover car itself. Not that I blame him, and I’m really not surprised. The lack of a picture of a “real” hover car” helps deepen my belief that those things were never real, and that if you sent money you’d either get (a) plans to build one but no materials or (b) some cardboard and a fan.

• jackbird says:

Yes, you got plans to build one – i believe you were supposed to use one or more vacuum cleaner motors to generate the thrust.

An elementary school friend was working on one with his high-school age brother and they had a big roundish bumper car-looking thing framed out in the basement.  Then his brother died and they moved away, so I have no idea if it worked or not.

6. millie fink says:

Of course, this is all happening again with stuff bought online. For many consumers, there already isn’t a big-box store nearby, where they can check out the real thing before buying it cheaper online.

7. neurolux says:

I also like that it’s “skin colored”. That description really narrows it down.

8. kartwaffles says:

A b’g disappointment.

9. SoItBegins says:

Looks like a new crop of entrepreneurs should give the old novelty makers a hand.

10. 20 Minute Jan says:

Someday, I need to write in defense of the other side…  about the time in the 1960′s when my then-teenaged big brother ordered a baby Great Horned Owl from the back of a comic book– and got a baby Great Horned Owl!