Army: Manning asked Assange to help crack password

38 Responses to “Army: Manning asked Assange to help crack password”

1. Guest says:

Has Assange ever professed to being a “hacker”?

“Nathanial Frank” sounds more like Adrian Lamo if he knows about cracking NTLM hashes with Rainbow Tables.

And oh yeah, if Manning was cracking classified machines, they can get him for that, let alone anything he leaked. Idiot.

2. stasike says:

The link in the article seems to be mangled

3. Try again with the link, homie.

4. James Longstreet says:

Please stop ungendering Pvt. Manning by referring to her as “Bradley” or using male pronouns.  It’s offensive and triggering.

• Tlahtolli says:

What’s the alternative, then?

• tré says:

“Private Manning” and “she/her” or possibly “ze/hir” would be good replacements.

• oasisob1 says:

That’s a personal choice, and you must be told what to use. Assuming he/she/ze wants it a particular way isn’t correct, either. Until Pfc Manning tells us, him/her/hirself, we can’t know.

• novium says:

I’m not really sure about that. We’ve never heard from Private Manning…which is not to say we should necessarily use the default, I’m just not sure how comfortable I feel about declaring that we SHOULD use one set of pronouns over another to respect someone when we haven’t been able to ask. I’m all in favor of gender-neutral language until we can. I mean, it just feels a bit…..we only know about the trans stuff because of some heavily implied things that were told in confidence to third parties. That makes me uncomfortable treating it as if it were a public declaration. The poor kid deserves some privacy, you know? But I guess in this case nothing will be fair…it is already public.

• ZikZak says:

In Manning’s own words:
        “[I] questioned my gender for several years… sexual orientation was easy to figure out… but i started to come to terms with it during the first few months of my deployment”

“i already got myself into minor trouble, revealing my uncertainty over my gender identity… which is causing me to lose this job… [...] i wish it were as simple as “hey, go transition”… but i need to get paperwork sorted…”

“i wouldn’t mind going to prison for the rest of my life, or being executed so much, if it wasn’t for the possibility of having pictures of me… plastered all over the world press… as [a] boy…”

• novium says:

Yes, I’ve read the transcripts. Which were transcripts of a conversation that was had in the understanding that it was completely confidential. That’s where my discomfort comes from. What Lamo did was despicable- a violation of trust so complete that I am sick with it. This should be something that Bradley should have a say in, you know? I just wish we could ask. It’s so personal.

• neapel says:

I don’t understand why Lamo is being trusted anyway. Clearly, Manning being not straight (and especially the Lady Gaga-bit) was used to slander, just because Lamo says he’s gay himself doesn’t lower my suspicion… (he is, after all, someone who leaks private chat logs.)
      So, given this was during the DADT debate, didn’t it fit nicely that the evil traitor was also queer? (Actually this doesn’t need Lamo fabricating anything, it’s irrelevant if that narrative is based in truth or not…)

• oasisob1 says:

Tell it to Wired. They don’t mind using male pronouns.

• thaum says:

And Wired are exemplars of journalism, amirite? What with them being chummy with Lamo and all.

• oasisob1 says:

Wired is joined by CNN, BBC, Reuters, The Baltimore Sun, The AP, codepink(!), HuffPo, ah, I’m tired of looking, they call treat him as male.

• thaum says:

I’m sure they’ve all been in contact with Manning and have all asked Manning what pronouns they should all use in reporting.

*tries not to die of laughter*

Seriously, we had issues recently with reporting on trans people _on this very blog_ and got it wrong the first time.

• Pointing out that the mainstream media is referring to a person as “he” hardly indicates much about the person’s gender-identity. The mainstream media regularly refers to overtly trans people using the wrong pronouns.

• Guest says:

Triggering? We may not realize how that is so without further context.

• tré says:

Hearing others be misgendered can remind a lot of folks of times they have been misgendered. For some people, those times can amount to a lifetime of being perceived and treated as someone they simply didn’t feel they were.

5. Elisabeth Day says:

And the misgendering of Manning by her alleged supporters continues. http://feministing.com/2011/12/22/why-does-the-media-and-her-supposed-supporters-continue-to-misgender-breanna-manning/