Knife engraved with Dore's illustrations for Dante's Inferno

16 Responses to “Knife engraved with Dore's illustrations for Dante's Inferno

1. Lobes says:

I fail to see the confusion.  That looks exactly like every other pocket knife, except with some cool engravings.

2. Mordicai says:

Look at it.  Just look at it.

• niktemadur says:

I’d like to, but it’s just not the same if it’s not banana related.

Seriously, an edition of The Divine Comedy with the Dore engravings was at a friend’s house when I was young, and they did blow my mind back then.  They still do, now that I think about it.

3. gorfulator says:

Dore’:  He’s hip & in the public domain!

4. Paul Renault says:

OK, now you just have to use the same knife to carve a woodcut of Dore’s illustrations to Dante’s Inferno drawings, so you can print ‘em.

5. Zak Jarvis says:

It is, in fact a folding knife and not a razor. There’s a lot of overlap in the custom knife makers and the folks who make custom straight razors, and the Straight Razor Place hosts some of that overlap. The Dante knife was shared in one of the forums dedicated to things that aren’t straight razors.

I also massively covet it.

6. Mister44 says:

Looks like just about any other folding knife I’ve ever seen. Maybe they don’t have the blunt orange safety cones that come on UK knives. (I keed! I keed!)

While I liked the ‘Damascus steel’ look, the modern stuff is so uniform and common, it’s almost blase now.

Now – those sliding doors are NEAT. Anyone who hasn’t click through, do so.

7. Zak Jarvis says:

Oh! I should also point out that while the knife itself was made by Joe Kious, the engraving was done by Ray Cover. It’s a collaborative piece.

Both of them do fantastic work elsewhere, too.  Ray Cover’s website is here: http://rcoverengraving.com/

I can’t find a single site for Joe Kious, but googling his name turns up a lot of places that sell his work.

8. Flashman says:

That’s not a knife.
    This is a knife:

9. I wear my hand-tooled aluminum hard hat when I wield it in knife fights.

10. jimh says:

Look at the hidden panels with scenes, and the incredible pattern on the blade!
    ZOMG WANT.

11. This is just ALL kinds of awesome!!

12. Nagurski says:

Really top-notch work. Ray Cover is a master. If I wanted to get good at engraving, he’s the guy I would want to study with.

13. Grey Devil says:

I’m a huge fan of Dante’s inferno, and this engraving work on the knife is absolutely stunning. Would be tempted to want to commission something like this but… being a drop-out with student loans and a retail job kind of settles that D:

14. sockdoll says:

Is that excruciating enough Cory, or do we need to go into more detail?