17 Responses to “EA, Sony, Nintendo pull support from SOPA (but their industry association still supports it)”

1. Andrew Singleton says:

This disturbes me. Greatly. At first it looks like member groups not having control of what the collective Org does, but on the other hand it could be taken as trying to disassociate each Brand (nintendo, ea, etc) with highly unpopular moves to keep customers from pulling a GoDaddy.

My Wii is already modded (and I love the added functionality modding gives.)My DS has been rendered unmoddable due to firmware update. Anyone want one?

2. beforewepost says:

Nice of Sony Electronics to pull their support of SOPA. But the electronics division wasn’t the division that supported SOPA in the first place. It was their music and entertainment divisions that supported it.  Left hand, meet right hand.

Some of you may recall it was Sony Music that thought putting root software on music CDs was an excellent idea. Yeah, same guys, same brilliance.

3. Steve Hoefer says:

When I saw the ESA on the list I assumed the ESA were one of the principal authors along with the MPAA and RIAA.  And I’m kind of surprised (but pleased) to see game makers pulling their support.

Hell, if Sony doesn’t support it you know that it’s more than ridiculous.

On the other hand game makers understand that future revenue is coming from online and breaking the internet is just going to hurt them.  The MP/RIAA haven’t figured that out yet.

I can’t say if the ESA will pull it’s backing or not, but keep in mind this was a no-work week for a lot of businesses. Starting Tuesday we’ll hopefully see more organizations responding.

4. brerrabbit23 says:

MSFT is still an ESA member…

• brerrabbit23 says:

Oh, wow.

Poked around just a little and read that MSFT is apparently “quietly” opposed to SOPA. They’re backing PIPA (at least, as of November) but multiple contacts (including those in the BSA) have suggested that they feel SOPA “needs work”.

5. Graysmith says:

I wish someone more enterprising than myself (like the EFF maybe?) would draft a manifesto proclaiming that the undersigned promises to boycott the products and services of any company in support of SOPA and PIPA. There needs to be a movement started to get people to commit to a real boycott and in doing so send a very loud and clear message to these companies and organizations that if they go through with this, they can no longer count on us as their customers.

6. ialreadyexist says:

I think the key point isn’t whether a company pulls support from SOPA but whether a company switches to actively fighting against it.  Any company can, with weasel words, try to get themselves off of the “We support SOPA” lists and hope they catch a break and people forgive them.  However, as former vocal supporters, they have already done damage and shouldn’t get a pass by withdrawing support.  The only way they can get that pass (from me) is by actively campaigning against SOPA.

• ialreadyexist says:

This would also take care of the problem of a company not having control of what a broader industry group they happen to belong to does and says.  Otherwise, as the article implies, these companies get to be on both sides of the fence at the same time.

7. GeekMan says:

In the supporters list: Estée Lauder, L’Oreal, Revlon… can someone explain to me what the hell cosmetics could possibly have to do with online piracy?

• Andrew Singleton says:

Nothing at all. They want to be able to go after competetors (be they cheap knock-offs or otherwise that use the Internet as their main revenue stream.)

Pharma wants in on this so they can shut down sites that sell medication from Canada since it’s apparently cheaper there (and legal to buy too.)

• Dennis Smith says:

This law is a problem for the whole world, not just USA. If I sell a product that is legal in one country, but has possible infringement issues in the USA, even if I don’t sell it in the US, the domain could be pulled, and I would loose income as a result. There is obviously more to this, but in a nutshell, that what could happen.

Furthermore the likes of the perfumes industry often have mark-up’s as much as 1000% or more in many cases for there products, if someone makes a product elsewhere, they’d do anything to kill it if they can. Worse still, if their products are sold as grey imports, even if this is legal to do in said country, the brand owners still call them fakes, even using veiled claims of counterfeiting in court to bring people retailing there products overseas. The prices are fixed in countries according to the value of the item, and the income of the average person in each county, if I buy from a poor country and sell in a wealthy one, pay the right taxes etc, the product is still a counterfeit in the eyes of the product manufacturer and they will fight it in court if they can.