9 weeks of weather in 3 minutes

24 Responses to “9 weeks of weather in 3 minutes”

1. I hope shortly after that you were struck by the realization “oh, wait, no, that’s wrong, air is a gas and not fluid”.

• Fluid and liquid are different things in the physics sense. Air isn’t a liquid. But it is a fluid.

• doug rogers says:

Step out of the constraints of your narrow space-time continuum.

• noah django says:

seriously?

>shitshallopsays

…oh.  carry on then.

• kmoser says:

At that time scale, isn’t everything fluid?

Years ago (pre-Web) I wanted to create a Super-8 animation from the daily weather maps printed in the NY Times. I lacked the patience to take one frame a day for any length of time it would have required to create more than a couple of seconds of animation, mostly because I had better uses for the camera in the interim and swapping film cartridges without exposing the last frame was a real pain.

Here’s something I did a while back that show an animation of the continents forming during the past 360 million years on Earth:

2. Egypt Urnash says:

Oh, wow. I want a weather app that lets me see this much timelapse so that my intuition can start to process what’s probably going to happen in the next few days.

3. Listener43 says:

I can see my house.

4. KanedaJones says:

kinda like this, isn’t it?  =)

5. xzzy says:

I did something like this in 2004.. set up a cron job to pull a jpeg from a website that posted radar images, and at the end of it all, compiled it into a movie:

Around the 7m15s mark, you can see hurricane Katrina spin up and casually dissipate over the eastern US like nothing happened.

Curiously, it looks like this guy used the same satellite for source as I did. I wonder how many nerds are out there hoovering these images up and doing cool stuff with them.

6. greebo says:

“Oh my god. Air really is a fluid, isn’t it?”
    And weather forecasting models are basically simulations of the equations of fluid motion on a rotating sphere. The programmers deserve respect.

7. Al Bondigas says:

What was that weird counter-clockwise storm that appeared from about 1:52-1:58 or so? Seemed like  everything else was acting fairly predictably until that came spinning through.  No wonder the meteorologists often seem like they’re just throwing darts.

8. Marc Long says:

Back in the old days of forecasting, we’d get a satellite picture printed out every half hour.  Take a stack them (oldest on top to newest on bottom), then look at them flip-book style to animate.

9. AGC says:

I just wish there was one timelapse like this but with the whole hemisphere.

10. noah django says:

this made me think of several things.  mainly, it illustrates how i had to re-write my “gut weather awareness” scripts when i moved from MI to TN when i was about 11.  Going from an always overcast, rain-from-random-directions idiom to a mostly clear, rain-only-from-the-SW idiom.  the first time i was with my Nashvillian godmother when a storm struck, we went to close the windows.  she closed them on 2 sides of the house.  i went for the others.  she said “don’t bother.”  i was completely floored to discover that not only was she right that day, it held for EVERY STORM.

and re:  “Oh my god. Air really is a fluid, isn’t it?”  that same godmother taught me whitewater canoeing, which familliarized me with how fluids flow around stationary objects.  later, as a city cyclist, i made that mental leap from liquid fluids to gaseous fluids when passing through the lee side of a skyscraper during high winds; then nearly getting floored in a literal sense when i got out of the “eddy” and back into the “current,” so to speak.

also, the infrared photography is beautiful.

11. Gainclone says:

Most things seem to be fluids.

12. Matthew Webb says:

I had a similar reaction watching this video from a coworker.

the waves of clouds at 2:04 in particular.

13. niktemadur says:

That persistent west-to-east jet stream throughout the whole video is really annoying, if I were president I’d build a massive barrier to make it stop, which would employ about a billion people.
    Economy fixed, annoying jet stream time-lapses eradicated, you’re welcome.

Seriously, some weather systems seem to roll like dough across the landscape, fascinating stuff.

14. sarahnocal says:

What you are seeing that is fluid is not air but water vapor. You can’t see air.

15. killshot says:

I am not afraid to admit I have lots of love for Patrick Di Justo.

16. Jonny Burnham says:

I like how you can see the night in day going on and off, this is how my electric stove boils water…

17. Thad Murdoch says:

Go to http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/ and click on one of the maps, and you can generate time-lapse of up to 30 frames, which covers a day or so. One can edit the html to modify the frame size, map line colour etc etc. My fav part of the clip is you can see the hotter (darker) gulf stream east of the east coast. That and the illustration that air pollution generated in the deep south reaches the NE in hours. Oh, and, Alabama has some NASTY chemical plants… just sayin..

18. whisper dog says:

You may also enjoy the 2011 North Atlantic Hurricane season in 4.5 minutes.