Electronic pioneer Daphne Oram recordings now available

19 Responses to “Electronic pioneer Daphne Oram recordings now available”

1. The photo alone is epic, never mind the music (which I’m compelled to start playing right now).

2. Mujokan says:

Another interesting female Radiophonic Workshop pioneer is Delia Derbyshire. Quite an institution. I still listen to the original Hitchhiker’s Guide to the Galaxy programs.

3. Dimmer says:

That’d be “Boomcat” not “Bookmat” — ah, my first picky picky post of the year…

4. mzed says:

Sweet.  Great stuff.  I wonder why it’s on vinyl.

5. irksome says:

She looks like Eno’s Mum.

6. Guest says:

“The ‘Oramics’ machine (the first electronic musical instrument in history to be designed and built by a woman) has gone on display at the Science Museum in London.”

For a moment there I thought it was included in the display because it was an exciting thing in its own right.  Good thing for that helpful parenthetical comment.

Her ‘Oramics’ machine has gone on display at the Science Museum in London.

There, I fixed it.

7. it194j says:

Really? LP only? That’s disappointing. If every bit of the work had been recorded and processed in the analogue domain then it might be understandable. But otherwise it just smacks of some vinyl elitists masturbating furiously at the thought of their superiority and cleverness.

Hopefully a digital release will become available.

8. Brent Landon says:

Actually, It came out on CD first under a different name.  I know its the same because I downloaded the original and have the 4xLP.  You can buy the CD version here:  http://boomkat.com/cds/31189-daphne-oram-oramics

• David Pescovitz says:

Not according to the record label’s information that I posted above and will repeat here:
      “Although some of Oram’s recordings have surfaced on the “Oramics” compilation, this set reveals a much more complex, dark, sometimes disturbing and often beautiful body of work which has, until now, been partially obscured by the more recognisable Radiophonic bleeps and whirrs the Workshop is best known for. “

• Dimmer says:

Gotta admit that those folks need to learn a new line/carriage return is the dogs bollocks.

9. Godfree says:

She must have been an awesome seamstress as well. You can’t tell me that dress is off the rack.

10. niktemadur says:

Hmmm… avant-garde composer Harry Partch had a piece called “Daphne”, another one called “Daphne Of The Dunes”.  Would that have anything to do with this lady?

• “Daphne of the Dunes” was the soundtrack to the film “Windsong” that Partch made with eccentric recluse Madeline Tourtelot, which was an adaptation of the Greek legend of Daphne and Apollo.