Gingerbread cuckoo clock with gingerbread gears

8 Responses to “Gingerbread cuckoo clock with gingerbread gears”

1. Mujokan says:

This is why the witch in Hansel and Gretel  was always late for work.

2. Sean Mangan says:

Definitely not a fail, more like a prototype.

3. Silent_Guru says:

Looks like a good job for a Gingerbread 3D printer

4. Alpacaman says:

I am repairing a pocket watch at the moment, and next time I sit down at my desk to work on it I am going to have a hard time avoiding trying to design a gingerbread escapement in my head.

Some early American clocks were made with wooden gears and escapements so, maybe with advances in gingerbread’s strength and brittleness a working clock could be made.

Although, gingerbread might expand and contract a lot due to heat/humidity changes, which would be a major problem.

How would you house a main spring in gingerbread? Maybe a new high strength gingerbread alloy is needed. Hands would need to be very light too, gingerbread technology has a long way to go.

How would gears run freely? I suppose a gear could be mounted on a rod with wax paper at both ends, then that would be held between two plates with wax paper dimples. The space between them could be lubricated with clock oil (actually clock oil would be too fine, maybe just some kind of silicone gel, idk). I can’t imagine that working very well, however. A needle (or something a wee bit thicker than a needle) could be pushed through the ends of the rod, maybe something could be built around that.

I don’t think I can stop thinking about this.

5. Jorpho says:

Such intricate projects confuse me.  Yes, the creative process poses an interesting challenge, but afterwards, how does one reconcile the principle purpose of gingerbread as an edible foodstuff with a product that is supposed to be useful, durable, and aesthetically pleasing?  Or, in other words, how can you bear to dismantle and eat something that is so darn cool?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Gingerbread houses are generally only eaten when you’re too drunk to taste the dust.

6. sean says:

I think she has a little too much time on her hands.

7. chaldean says:

Personally, I quite like it when I get icing down on my axle.
    (Sorry, had to.)