American sf convention costumers of the 1980s

20 Responses to “American sf convention costumers of the 1980s”

1. TheMudshark says:

Turns out Gentlemen Broncos was not the mean spirited hyperbole I took it for.

2. HenryPootel says:

Kathy Sanders probably got asked on a lot of dates

3. echolocate chocolate says:

Daaaang, that wallpaper.

4. sean says:

Where’s Angelique Trouvere when you need her?

5. KanedaJones says:

his mislabeling and tiny mistakes are driving me nuts but I should not begrudge someone who hasn’t memorized the entirety of space themed entertainment.

and no the robot from saturn 3 is a costume not a piece of art. and the saturn 3 listed earlier is not saturn 3 robot.. aarrrgh! the burning in my brain!

6. Halloween Jack says:

I’m actually quite impressed by these–despite the amateurishness of the photography and the hideous backdrops–simply because, not only was there not a whole cosplay infrastructure behind them to help with the construction of the costumes, but there just weren’t that many cosplayers (in fact, the term didn’t even exist) around. It took a lot of guts to do what they did in that day.

• sean says:

I don’t know if it took guts. Maybe if they were to go to church, or the mall,  dressed like that. People had been dressing up at comic cons at least since 1972 (my first one),  and there was never a “look at that geek” mentality there.  We ENJOYED the costume contests- google Angelique Trouvere to see why.

7. Stasw says:

I love this!  Small costume budgets but big imaginations. I admire the DIY glittery Supergirl costume in particular.  I am a little perplexed that the captioner could not see that it was Zelazny in the pictures not Silverberg.  Given the name tag is pretty close to legible in full image size.

8. Tim Drage says:

Good to see my hero Mike Jittlov in some of these :)

9. Farrell McGovern says:

Great shots of Mike Jittlov!

10. I attended the 1980 Westercon, but I am not in this batch of Dik Daniels photos.  I do appear in later Dik Daniels photos.  Just within the last week I noticed that I have a photo of Dik Daniels among my collection.  I think that I will post my photo of Dik Daniels to the internet as part of a turnabout-is-fair ploy.

11. Space Zombie says:

Jittlov sighting!

12. BarBarSeven says:

Grand Moff Vending: The guy in charge of keeping Imperial soda machines filled at all times.

13. So… here is my photo of Dik Daniels:  http://www.flickr.com/photos/pip_r_lagenta/6664608923

Just to be fair.

14. Kibo says:

The headless body of the “Saturn 3″ robot is mis-identified as an unknown art object while another excellent costume is mis-identified as the “Saturn 3″ robot. Harvey Keitel wishes to tell you that, no matter which is the real Hector, NO TACTION CONTACT!

(Actually, the robot may or may not be headless, depending on whether you’re watching the theatrical cut or the heavily-edited network TV cut. Either way, NO TACTION CONTACT!)

It’s sad that I’ve seen more than one edit of “Saturn 3″…

15. Окна says:

the best is best
    costume=))))))))

16. technogeekagain says:

In case nobody else has posted it yet: If you’re interested in costuming as hobby/craft/art, you should check out: