If Randy Newman did a themesong for "We Need to Talk About Kevin"

13 Responses to “If Randy Newman did a themesong for "We Need to Talk About Kevin"”

1. While a good joke, this is something that Paul and Storm have been doing for a very long time, with various movies. They even did 25 “Newman Themes” in 25 days for christmas a few years ago

2. Awesomer says:

I still can’t get over the fact that Randy Newman has become a touchstone for hyper-earnest songs, since his non-movie music is exceedingly acerbic and ironic, and at times downright disturbing.

3. I had no idea this movie involved a school shooting until readig you blurb.  Was really looking forward to it.  Thanks a lot.

• rememberate says:

Well, the good news is that they “spoil” that part within the first fifteen minutes of the movie, so… you can still look forward to it! I knew ahead of time too and still enjoyed it.

4. s2redux says:

Might explain what put Kevin over the edge.
    “Left foot, right foot
    Left foot, right foot
    Left foot, … “

5. estragon_nyc says:

If these lame parodists ever just listened once to the brilliant Sail Away, or Good Old Boys, or Land of Dreams they might drop dead of a heart attack.  “But I thought Randy Newman only wrote treacly melodies and sappy lyrics!  My brain can’t handle all this cold irony, bitter yet self-effacing humor, and sophisticated musicianship!  Where’s the easy-to-mock movie soundtrack music?”

6. yupgiboy says:

@estragon_nyc:disqus – I was just about to post the exact same thing. Randy Newman should not…. cannot be judged solely upon his feel good, gentle sounding film songs. His studio albums are phenomenal and he’s composed some wonderful scores as well (Ragtime, The Natural). Methinks the guy who did this parody (and everyone who thought this was so funny) should stop watching Family Guy and give Newman’s discography a good spin.

7. As the parodist in question, I can assure “estragon_nyc” and “yupgiboy” that I’m a huge, non-ironic fan of Randy Newman’s work, especially the stuff from before he started doing movie songs, though I like a lot of those too. The notion that this parody was meant as a slam against RANDY NEWMAN’S ENTIRE CAREER is unfounded and silly. For that matter, it’s not even meant as a “slam” on Newman’s movie tunes … more an affectionate ribbing. Like the man said: laugh and be happy; don’t you ever wear a frown; don’t let the bastards grind you down.

• yupgiboy says:

I stand completely corrected, then. I run into way too many people who roll their eyes when I mention Randy Newman because of how he’s perceived in current pop culture. I apologize for making assumptions. I suppose it’s fitting that I would misunderstand a Randy Newman parody much in the same way a casual listener would misunderstand a Randy Newman song!

• estragon_nyc says:

Glad to hear it, mister.  But like yupgiboy, I’ve run into so many people who only know the film tunes and mock all his work on that basis, that leaping to such a conclusion here was almost inevitable.  As a fan of his actual career, I’m sure you can appreciate how passionate and even protective we can get when we think his reputation is being slighted!

8. babylost says:

As a hardcore Newman fan, I always laugh when people do imitations of him.  They never seem to get the voice just right.  The trick is to try and sound like Ray Charles (as that is who Newman has said he is trying to imitate voice wise) and then make it a bit more “whitey”.