Map of pig nicknames from 1884

25 Responses to “Map of pig nicknames from 1884”

1. Sam Powers says:

The jpeg isn’t big enough to read the names… and the TIFF is 163mb!  There’s gotta be some happy medium resolution version of this, right? :(

2. Aaron Hubbard says:

Wow… thanks for the NSFW warning on the source link…

3. Spieguh says:

A nickname for every state in the union *as of 1884* plus some territories that would later become states. We hadn’t even had our gold rush up here in Alaska to boost the population!

4. Christopher says:

As a Tennessean I’m offended that the best whoever wrote this could come up my state was “Whelp”. But at least it’s better than the nickname they came up with for Utah.

• Navin_Johnson says:

It appears to have originated in Illinois and our name on there is “Suckers” (it looks like anyway)  so I wouldn’t feel so bad.

5. rasputinaxp says:

How about “Map of state nicknames from 1884″? The pigs really have very little to do with it.

6. blueelm says:

I love the scale bias!

7. Navin_Johnson says:

The illustration of the pig puking is indeed something special.

8. djwtwo says:

Looks like the right description is more “map of nicknames for people from states from 1884″.

Is the Utah illustration supposed to show a poly(pi)gamist?

9. oldmapgallery says:

Unbelievable. This is a ridiculous coincidence. This is a really rare and obscure map, and I had just talked with a friend about this last week.  Yes, prior to being cornhuskers Nebraska referred to themselves as the “bugeaters”, and the Illinois “Suckers” wasn’t about their gullibility, but how they got water.  I don’t know who in New Mexico would’ve called themselves “greasers”.

10. usuallyconfused says:

he he…. Puke.   Obviously, the originators had visited Missouri.  Still fits, it’s how I feel every. single. day.

11. Antinous / Moderator says:

Plate tectonics works faster than I thought.  Nevada was smaller than Massachusetts in 1884.

12. Mister44 says:

From my 10 min of goggling, they didn’t invent any of these names – they were the already common names for the areas. Many names had an edge of classlessness to them.

13. Adam S. says:

North Carolina clearly should have been  “Pigshit.” That’s not tar on their heels. No regulation of meat industry plus coastal swamp land plus regular  visits by Hurricanes creates a monstrous North Carolina shaped cesspool 2 or 3 times a year.

14. theepdinker says:

I had to download 163 meg to find out Washington’s was “Washingtonians”.

15. JIMWICh says:

There’s at least two competing explanations for how Missouri had picked up ‘The Puke State’ nickname.  In 1827, lots of Missourians rushed to stake claims on the lead fields near Galena.  It’s said that the people already there remarked that, “It looked as if Missouri had taken a puke.”

Another explanation was that cholera outbreaks in Missouri’s early days convinced outsiders that, “Missourians vomited a disproportionate amount of the time.”

16. sean says:

Wait until Homer sees this! It’s funny ’cause it’s true!

17. seaanemoneman says:

That piercing process does not look like much fun.