14 Responses to “Paul Brownstein Productions claims YouTube ownership of US government movie, could have Public Resource's YouTube account killed”

1. stuck411 says:

Until we straighten out our copyright & patent laws (which I’m all for, BTW) we’re going to continue to stifle innovation. Right now too few entities are trying to control the whole shebang, and anyone with the right form can cause headaches for anyone.

2. Under the River says:

I have read a lot of copy text about all that is bad with SOPA, but Dr. Malamud’s discussion is by far, the clearest and most direct I have seen.

3. Jasonclock says:

In “abstentia”? In his abstence?

4. Daemonworks says:

Falsely claiming copyright would seem to be fraud…

5. It looks like there might be content in there from the CBS program Wild America. Brownstein and his company are closely associated with CBS so maybe that’s the reasoning behind the claim.

6. Daniel Triendl says:

Why is this about SOPA? Doesn’t this problem exist already even without SOPA? Don’t just stop SOPA/PIPA but fix youtubes account removal and DMCA.

• angusm says:

This is about SOPA because it’s an illustration of the kind of problems that SOPA will bring. One organization or individual claims ownership of a piece of content, and you can be closed down without explanation or appeal. Malamud’s problems with Paul Brownstein Productions are exactly the kind of thing we will see if SOPA passes, with the difference that the consequences may be even more far-reaching.

7. jerwin says:

Can Malamud sue Brownstein for libel?

8. IamInnocent says:

“try me and convict me in absentia with no due process”

That alone makes me wonder how such a law could stand in court.