23 Responses to “US copyright lobby to Canada: pass our stupid laws or we won't let you into the suicide pact!”

1. I did what I could (admittedly very little) to raise awareness over the fight against ACTA, and it accomplished nothing.  I fear law makers will ignore the cries of the citizens and pass this as well.

It’s a shame that those in power do not represent the will of the people who elect them, and even in the rare cases where they do listen, these back-room international treaties override their decisions.

It’s shameful how we put up with this.

2. elix says:

Dear “Harper Government”:

If you have to be this stupid and evil, please continue to also be stubborn and ineffective as well. Continue to let MAFIAA-written copyright bills die on the table.

Signed,
    Canada

3. BombBlastLightingWaltz says:

Internet users rip off any material at leisure including useage of artists, musician and movie makers work, may not understand using artistic work without benefit of financial compensation to creator. They (user) should be held accountable  and  pay a user fee for say image/video/whathaveyou.

responsible internet use starts with the consumer and hopefully sensibility will prevail.

Time to pay the piper and stop using other’s creative content for off hand entertainment.

My 2 cents.

• dainel says:

You only think it’s a rip off because you think you’re entitled to payment and are not getting it. It would not be a rip off if, first, we tell you you’re not going to get payment, before you even start doing any creative work. If you persists and still “create”, then you know the score. We would have fewer “creators”, but we can live with that. We will have different kinds of “creators”, and they could all more easily “build on top of others”, instead of being mired in lawyers at every step.

• Genre Slur says:

Picture, if you will:
           A couple of youngsters are facing a crazed-looking older Caucasian male. He is wearing a silk smoking jacket, silk pajamas, and slippers. His hair is slicked back J. R. Dobbs-style, and he is clutching a very large, empty sack in his left hand, holding it behind his back. On his right hand is large sock-puppet monster. The scary monster is holding a doll up to the children. The doll is wearing a beret and holding a paint brush. The monster is ducking its head behind the doll, while rumbling in a thin affected falsetto ‘Please don’t hurt! Me artist. Me sensitive, sniff. Love me.’
           For some reason this ‘scene’ pops into my head at intervals. Often when I listen to people talk. Sometimes when I read stuff. I don’t know why the scene keeps flashing into my head, but I love it.
           Oh yeah, this time is different because the monster is wearing a pope-hat and a judges’ robe. And the artist-doll is actually a parrot. Thank you Rbt. Williams — my prehensile third-eye keeps me entertained in the strangest ways.

• quitterjunior says:

Make shit.  Then talk.  The fuck have you ever created artistically.  Me artist. Me scorned.

• Genre Slur says:

Me makes lots. Performing at One Yellow Rabbit’s High Performance Rodeo on Saturday. Then improvising with Sonic Boom in March. Also make pretty pictures to sell to rich people who like Taoist art. Also made picture in your head with above words. Me scorned. Me grateful. Hope you like the beret-wearing parrot. Enjoy!

4. RuthlessRuben says:

Am I the only one who can derive endless amounts of incredulous fascination out of the fact that we are living in a world where a private-business interest group is (apparently successfully) putting pressure on one of the most powerful governments in the world with one hand, while they are pushing them away and claiming that they’re being stifled by government control with the other?

Sometimes I think that we don’t need to fight the power, fighting the lobby is what we really should be doing. But as they all seem to be scizophrenic madmen with multiple-personality disorder, I am not sure I wish to get involved with these people, even in a setting of mutual atagonism.

I think we should just agree to the most draconian copyright laws possible and then build machines for the RIAA et al.  to rampage through the internet taking down content and censoring it.

Only then, within this info-apocalypse will the average joe understand how awful IP is in general. Once that happens we can try to rebuild; but no one gets it yet. We need a terrible example that affects millions to help educate everyone about the value of IP as a society, rather than just IP for the individual.

Alternatively people might opt-out and license their works fairly under Free/Libre Open Source licenses and similar content licenses.

6. Shinkuhadoken says:

Americans want the Canada Wheat Board dismantled.
    Harper dismantles Canada Wheat Board.

Americans want Canada to revoke their high standard food safety laws and programs.
    Harper dismantles Canada’s food safety laws and programs.

Americans want Canada to step out of the  Kyoto Protocols.
    Harper takes Canada out of the Kyoto Protocols.

Americans want all the personal and intimate details of any Canadian who steps foot in the U.S. without reciprocation.
    Harper hands it over, no questions asked.

Americans want Canada to adopt draconian copyright laws.
    Hmm. Wonder what Harper will do?

• Andrew Singleton says:

‘Americans’ in this instance being the Lobbiest lizard people.

Speaking for the cluster of Americans I happen to be part of I can say that I have no interest in kneecapping our nieghbors. It’d be like me demanding you let your lawn grow out, break a few of your windows, and let trash accumulate because I don’t wanna keep my house up.
      Just pure and simple rudeness bred through lazy dislike of actual competition going on there, and I appologize that your government is getting knocked around by our lobbiests by proxy.

• Ryan Lenethen says:

Most Americans I have met are nice people. I would say most Canadians can same the same thing. However your government is basically a shill for the rich and the corporations they run. It is that government that then tries to influence ours, for the benefit of rich Americans and corporations. I don’t think too many would agree that they are doing it for “the good of the people” anymore, and it is blindingly obvious that the same holds true when they try to peddle it to the north.

Then again I doubt radical terrorists have many problems with Joe Smith and Sally Jane America either, and are more pissed off about pretty much constant American interference in their lives, government, and cultures.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

Hey, Canada! Bring me a beer and a sandwich.

• Genre Slur says:

(rushing into the room)… terribly sorry for the wait, but the La Fin du Monde had to be chilled first. Excuse me for asking, but you don’t mind hot mustard on the smoked meat, eh?

• Shinkuhadoken says:

Seriously, if you called the Prime Minister’s Office, I’d half-expect a beef dip with a side of Molson to show up on your doorstep.

7. bigorangemachine says:

Just another example of living next to a Giant.

Its crazy just how much the US cares about what Canadian do with their freedoms.  Three times Canada was on the verge of legalizing pot and three times the US stepped in with a personal visit killing the legalization bill.

Personally I can’t decide if I want China Leading the world or the US leading the world as long as I get a say in how my country is ran…. under either it won’t happen.

8. digi_owl says:

Why oh why do these “pacts” and “trade agreements” look more and more like the way that Germany was wrangled into a single nation, back in the days?

Hell, i find myself reminded about the historical timeline of the imperial throne in the Dune universe. Starting out with Alexander the great, with a stopover in Rome, London and Washington before taking to the stars.

9. King Harper must go NOW.

10. Simon McNeil says:

It’s not anywhere as simple a matter as content creators should get paid. A lot of the copyright laws coming out of the USA (especially SOPA) are harmful to creative people being creative under the guise of protecting IP.

Copyright used to provide a content creator a window to earn money from work he produced before letting it enter the public domain. By indefinitely extending copyright terms we’ve been killing our supply of public domain media.

11. Matt Livingstone says:

The idea that these laws, pacts and secret handshakes protect the creators is absolute bullshit!

For example…

Apple says iTunes is “better than free” because it’s “fair to the artists and record labels.” That’s simply not true. First of all, Apple gets 3 times as much money as musicians from each sale. Apple takes a 35% cut from every song and every album sold, a huge amount considering how little they have to do. Record labels receive the other 65% of each sale. Of this, major label artists will end up with only 8 to 14 cents per song, depending on their contract. Many of them will never Artists Get Ripped Off. even see this paltry share because they have to pay for producers and recording costs, both of which can be enormous. Until the musician “recoups” these costs, when you buy an iTunes song, the label gives them nothing.

Apple has NOTHING to do with the songs creation yet benefits 3 times more than the individual who created it. So if these laws, pacts and secret handshakes actually put  more money into artists pockets fine. But the hard truth they do not and simply enrich the middlemen.

12. kittnkat says:

The canadian government of present has no backbone. They will just continue to capitulate stupidly until the few fat people of the old school feebly clinging on to power finally die off, and then the kids with fire in their hearts and revolution in their minds will take over.

There’s no point in trying to talk sense to old donkeys who speak no language but carrot and stick, dollars and cents. They have no view of the future because they know their ends are near.

Do you worst, Harper, Ford. Karma is coming to get u.

• Shinkuhadoken says:

It’s not a “backbone” issue at all.  It’s clearly the values of Alberta, Harper’s home province, that’s at play here.

Look at the Iraq war. Canadians recognized immediately it was pure folly and were overwhelming against it… except in Alberta, which was the only province in the country where a majority supported the Bush administration’s position. They are also the province who emulates American health care as much as legally possible, constantly pushing for privatization.

When you consider the overwhelming wealth of American oil companies embedded in the province to suck it dry help in its economic development, it’s little wonder whose side they are going to be on in any policy discussion.

You can’t blame Harper’s Conservatives entirely for this mess, either (even though I just did). The Liberal party has long abandoned the West as a lost cause, and the West in turn fears that their oil wealth will be commendeered by Ottawa for the more politically powerful Ontario and Quebec electorates to enjoy (and with very good reason). What Harper is doing now is the manifestation of decades of neglect and marginalization from Canada’s federal government, and he’s adopting the values of the only force majeur in the region that apparently gave a damn about Alberta: The United States.