Connie Willis is the 2011 Science Fiction Writers of America Grand Master

17 Responses to “Connie Willis is the 2011 Science Fiction Writers of America Grand Master”

1. blueelm says:

Hmmm… I’ve never heard of this person or those books (I never cared that much about SF) but now I am curious.

• Momof2boys says:

Try reading “The Doomsday Book” and “To Say Nothing of the Dog” – these were my introduction to Willis.  I tend to prefer the longer story format but her short fiction is also quite good.  In fact, I rarely read short fiction.  I make exceptions for Willis and Kage Baker.

2. Patrick Phelan says:

Connie Willis has a number of non-SF books as well, equally deserving of praise. Though I wouldn’t let a genre description hold you back. It didn’t hold her back.

3. monkeygirl says:

So happy to hear that she has finally been honored! She is one of my favorite writers. “Lincoln’s Dreams,” “Bellwether,” “The Doomsday Book,” “Passage,” “Blackout” and “All Clear” are all excellent. They should definitely be classified as science fiction, but they are so well written that they can be enjoyed by people who generally avoid the genre.

• Tess says:

I’m actually not sure Lincoln’s Dreams, Passage, or Bellwether are science fiction at all.  Not that it matters precisely, because they’re fabulous books.  Passage is creepy beyond belief…

I’ve passed Bellwether around my department.  Sociologists are not usually main characters of anything.  :D

4. mkultra says:

Hugely deserved. Possibly my very favorite author (though I hate proclaiming something like that).

5. Mitchell Glaser says:

I find this a very strange experience for me: I am a big SF fan, and never before have I heard people I respect gush over an author’s work so much yet, when I went and read them, been so disappointed. Fire Watch, which includes All My Darling Daughters, was a huge disappointment to me. I felt like most of the stories were duds, with one or two being mildly interesting.

I am just saying this in passing, really, I don’t mean to discourage anyone from checking out her books. I don’t have to like everything everybody else likes, or vice versa. In fact, as a mentor of mine likes to point out, “that’s why they make different flavored jelly beans”.

6. Ryan Lenethen says:

Um What?

I am a huge science fiction fan and have read a lot. Her name doesn’t ring a bell. They should have included a listing of her books, I had to do a amazon search for her. None of them really jumped out at me. Much of her work seems to be short stories in magazines and such…

It shows volumes (heh pardon pun) that both John Scalzi and Joe Haldeman spoke out for her as I have enjoyed both of their works immensely.

Anyway I just find it confusing that she is getting awarded for being one of the “most-awarded and beloved science fiction writers of her generation”. I’m 34, and I don’t think it is my generation, and I read a lot of the older material as well.

That said I will definitely check out one of her more popular books to see for myself.

7. cm says:

That vest she’s wearing should win some kind of science fiction award.

8. Jayarava says:

I’ve been reading scifi and fantasy for almost 40 years and I’ve never heard of her. But my local public library has exactly one of her books. I’ll check it out…

9. pjcamp says:

I’ve found her to be highly variable and generally in need of a good editor. Doomsday Book was about twice as long as it needed to be and seriously repetitive.

10. petarb says:

Connie Willis’ work is one of the reasons why modern Science Fiction is being increasingly marginalised and irrelevant. Her work is derivative, lacking in innovation and frankly boring. For a story set in the future (and past, obviously), Doomsday Book was curiously out of touch; I recall several plot points occurring because of a missed phone call… this is in the future, by the way.
    If you SFWA guys and girls want to keep patting yourself on the back and telling each other that people like Connie Willis represent you, knock yourself out. Just don’t expect anyone else – and by this I mean the set of humans extraneous to the set of Science Fiction Writers and a few of their readers – to take notice. To be honest, I’m surprised Scalzi still involves himself in this mess…

11. DrunkenOrangetree says:

The Doomsday Book was superb. Anyone who thinks science fiction is about predicting the future is, frankly, out of touch.

12. What the F is up with that vest. Why would anybody put this on?
    Now there’s a story for you aspiring SF writers. Crappy fashion sense.