Cyberpunk classic Syndicate re-released

14 Responses to “Cyberpunk classic Syndicate re-released”

1. Sagodjur says:

It seems like someone should have created an open source version of the original for Linux by now.

I’m really hoping that the reboot isn’t a disappointment.

2. Andreas Gohr says:

The original Syndicate runs quite well in DosBox BTW.

3. David Rogge says:

Given that the GoG version will be using DOSBOX, it should play just fine on PC, Mac, Linux — anywhere that DOSBOX runs. So while it’s not open source (and given EA’s ownership and history/culture never will be) at least most folks should be able to play it.

Having just gone back to playing Populous 2 though, I did find the memories of the game were much more positive than the realities. UI has come a long, long way.

• tyr says:

The limitations of the time, there were only so many cpu cycles and memory available. But was it ever a golden age for  games : Populous 2, Colonization, X-Com, Mega-lo-mania, Syndicate, Elite: Frontier, … So many great games.

4. Andrew Singleton says:

Ahh Good Old Games.

DRM Free classicsAnd they’re joining in tomorrow’s protests.Makes me want to give them more business.

• Trent Hawkins says:

Was it DRM free?
      See first word on Page 64 of the game manual for the answer.

• Andrew Singleton says:

I’m talking about the data/install media itself, not any ‘search for x thing in the manual’ or ‘the number is on the back of the cd’ business. I’m sure PDFs are included of the instructions.

5. Mister44 says:

Ironically, I just found my hand written paper for the games commands the other day and threw them away.

6. SedanChair says:

Great job GOG!
    …I’ll probably be pirating your work on general principle (just like I did the Amiga version), but still, great job.

• Andrew Singleton says:

Could you at least donate? GoG is one of those places that kinda deserve business. DRM, download as you please, and a good selection of classics (and newer games…)

• adonai says:

A classic, released for modern systems without DRM for $5.99…

….can I ask exactly what general principle this might be?