The science of glow sticks

10 Responses to “The science of glow sticks”

1. TimmoWarner says:

I’m a big fan of all the NurdRage chemistry videos!

2. nixiebunny says:

Thanks for clearing that up. I had no idea what was in the glass tube that activated the fluorescent dye. Now I know that it’s the same thing that makes me glow.

3. Christopher says:

A word of advice regarding glow sticks: never break one open and pour it in your friend’s Mountain Dew.

4. DewiMorgan says:

I’ve been wanting edible glowing food for a while. Best I’ve been able to find is fluorescent food :(

5. Bobsyeruncle says:

Neat. But why does he sound like a witness for the FBI?

6. Christopher says:

What the artist in me can’t help wondering is, is it possible to mix dyes, or are there other dyes? Also, is it possible to slow the rate of decay by freezing the mixtures? Probably not, and I realize they’ll always decay, but I can’t help wanting to experiment.

7. JoshP says:

mind blown… thank you.

8. phiis161803 says:

What’s with the narrator’s voice?  It sounds like it’s been electronically modified down a register.  It reminds me of the drama that Jonathan Goldstein of WireTap fame portayed when he lowered his voice to “get ratings.”  A great episode!

I hope people don’t feel the need to change their voice just to sound more “authoritative” — that’s just plain silly.

9. bombjack says:

Here are my synthesis trials (sorry, partly in German; but with pictures and some links to “English speaking” pages ):
    I synthesized TCPO (what is mentioned in a other video of that guy):
    Later I tried a bigger run
    where I got a yield of about 47 g of TCPO
    I had to invest 125.63 swiss franks (CHF) for the stuff….

A other nice reaction is the chemiluminescence of luminol in alkaline DMSO (dimethyl sulfoxide)  which is here
    described.