PIPA/SOPA understanding and action: flowchart edition

9 Responses to “PIPA/SOPA understanding and action: flowchart edition”

1. toyg says:

With all this SOPA brouaha, I keep thinking that  there’s a big opportunity now for one country to completely legalize filesharing *as long as the content being shared is produced in the same country*, maybe coupled with some tax breaks. Imagine your culture spreading like wildfire through the internet, your artists becoming worldwide celebrities overnight, and people rushing to try out new business models, as your artistic capital becomes a Mecca for media businesspeople flocking to see the future.

• Andrew Singleton says:

Oh I love that idea! Likely unworkable due ot resistance and no general idea on how to monitize, but either that or streamlining a flat licensing fee to download along with your ISP’s fee. Kindal ike bundling a netflix subscription.

2. sam1148 says:

I’m not reading all that.

3. Shibi_SF says:

Nicely done! I’d like to print out the flowchart and mail it to my parents (and my parents in law), because, while I’m sure that they do not understand one iota of SOPA or PIPA, I really can’t sit them down and explain the internet to them anymore.  Giving them all the gift(s) of WiFi just about blew all of their minds (I had to do this so that we could visit them without fighting over the LAN, CAT-5 cord).  *sighs*

Again, nice flow chart.  I dig it.

4. David Moss says:

Joey are you the same Joey of the Mollusk fame? If so, eat your vegetables.

Signed, ContractReview.

5. DrPlokta says:

It fails for me at “Do you know your Congressional representative’s position?”, since I don’t have a Congressional representative. It will fail likewise for over 95% of the population of the world.

6. Peter Flint says:

Laudable though this is, I have to agree with DrPlotka that a question along the lines of ‘Are you a U.S. Citizen?’ somewhere near the top would help. Without either a Congressional Representative or a Senator to speak for me, I can only stand amazed and watch as the country to which we should all be grateful for having invented the internet (not the WWW, but definitely the internet) does it’s best to screw it up.

7. fletcher_katherine says:

You don’t have to be a US citizen.  The Congress-person just has to think you are.  I happen to have grown up in the US but now live abroad.  My last residence was in Washington, DC, which doesn’t have any votes in Congress anyway.  So I wrote the rep from the state where I grew up, and where my family still lives.  They dont know you’re not from there. /

8. Nate says:

tldr: Do you agree with me? No–> Go read stuff written by people who agree with me until you do as well. Don’t worry, I don’t mind imposing on your time.

Not very uncommon for you bunch to be tone deaf to your own writing, but god, this is grating and pushy as all hell. I know it’s more about laughs/the reader (or perhaps the flowchart’s creator) patting himself on the back than it is about convincing people to change their minds, but the tone makes me think the author is Spanish, catholic and several hundred years old.