Don't click this if you're at all squeamish, but there's something terrific (in ever sense) about the extraction of a gauze-pack from a healing broken nose, like watching a kind of horrible stillborn mouse being birthed from a cringing man's sinus cavity. (Thanks Fipi Lele!)

18 Responses to “NSFA: extracting a gauze-pack from a broken nose”

1. bcsizemo says:

I was really expecting something larger, like that scene from Total Recall.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

When I had my worst nosebleed, the one that required a transfusion, when the ER pulled out my home packing, the clot was a foot long.

Are you happy now?

• creativehumanoid says:

You got me beat on the transfusion. I had a nasty nosebleed that sent me to the hospital for the night. (Gagging on one’s own blood isn’t fun.) Removal of the nose pack was the easiest part.

As for gross, the goo was definitely the worst in the video.

2. Zart says:

I will see your gauze pack removal and raise you a rhinolith extraction

3. Paul Renault says:

I used to get nose bleeds all the time as a kid.  My father, a physician, used to pack my nostril with, what seemed to me, at least a meter of thick cotton cord into my nine-year-old head.

I used to pull it out myself – I was expecting a much bigger cotton pack in the video.

4. rAMPANTiDIOCY says:

may not be THAT bad, but i still want me some unicorns

5. chgoliz says:

Is it possible to NOT click a link with the warning “don’t click this”?

6. gandalf23 says:

I have not watched this, but I lived through it.  Sorta.

Had my turbines removed as a kid.  Went back to the Dr. two weeks-ish later to remove the gauze.  It was not fun.

Then the dude left one in there ’cause he miscounted, and a week later the last one I removed myself.  IIRC it was a inch wide gauze, folded in half lengthwise, and about two foot long.  I felt like Ahnold in Total Recall.  I was afraid it was my brain was going to leak out at first because the end of it was pretty well cemented into the cavity by a months worth of mucus and blood and I could feel it tearing loose when I pulled it out.  It was unpleasant to say the least.

7. A big blob of gross, but I too was expecting something like the improbably loooooong stip of  packing that came out of a cyst and access I had fixed.  10+ feet of gauze from a little 1/2″ slit – like a gross magic trick.

• robdobbs says:

This video seems to be a second attempt at removal. It looks like a piece was left behind. Typically there is a lot of ribbon material that is magic tricked out of your face.

8. robdobbs says:

I’ve had nose surgery – At first the idea of a Cocaine Pack sounded fun. It’s not. Removal is the best part of the whole experience – it means it’s finally over.

9. knoxblox says:

Maybe not as gross looking…I had 8 nasal polyps removed from my sinus cavities last spring using the good old “roto-rooter” method. They look sort of like peeled grapes, but they’re rather tough, like cooked octopus suckers.

I’ll bet he’s going to feel great when his sense of smell returns.

10. Ipo says:

Been there done that.  Several times.
    I’m not gonna watch that.
    I only scanned over your comments and decided I’m not going to read those either.
    I’m not normally squeamish.