From Physicians for Human Rights: "A report (PDF) prepared by professors and students at the University of North Carolina School of Law states that the CIA has been relying on Aero Contractors, Ltd., a North Carolina operated civil aviation company to transport detainees to international destinations for detention, interrogation and torture."

12 Responses to “Report: North Carolina aviation company handled extraordinary rendition flights for CIA”

1. tedder42 says:

what am I missing? This has been known since at least 2005.

2. EH says:

Looks like universities don’t have a problem being in the redaction game.

3. Adolf Hipster says:

This airport is less than 5 miles from my house. The CIA made them take down the Verizon tower that was there, so now I get shitty reception.

4. I just… I’m just dumbstruck. How does one accept this job and sleep at night? I mean, I’m sure the CIA didn’t say, “Hi. We’re from the CIA. Want to help us export people so they can be tortured?” But still… If we know that these flights are rendition flights, surely the pilots have known for years. You’re fucking exporting people SO THEY CAN BE TORTURED!!! How do you see yourself on the good side of history here?

• RJ says:

People can rationalize nearly anything. Ask a psychologist about that sometime. They all seem to have some pretty wild stories.

Less cynically, I know what you mean. Contributing to the suffering in the world just isn’t a job I could do, no matter how sweet the paycheck. I’d rather be an honest man and homeless than earn millions through others’ agony.

• grimc says:

It helps when the company was founded by a former Air America pilot.

5. That_Anonymous_Coward says:

Only Dictators torture people, down with torture.
    Only Dictators turn off the internet, down with that.
    Only Dictators pass laws to help their wealthy friends, down with that.

Other than some paperwork from the start of the country that most of our leaders use as TP, how are we different these days?  Oh because we say we are different… do as we say, not as we do.