Hubble Space Telescope power interface console on eBay

26 Responses to “Hubble Space Telescope power interface console on eBay”

1. suburbanhick says:

Send it to Mitt Romney – he can use it to calculate his income taxes!

2. snagglepuss says:

Shipping costs are the deal-breaker here. Could anybody help put something that looks like a go-kart mod on the underside of that behemoth and then spot me while I drive it across about 15 state lines ?

Come to think of it, I’d probably want one of those mylar-balloons-that-look-like heat-seeking-missiles add-ons, too.

3. xzzy says:

I wish buttons like that still saw common use. They’re so.. tactile. When you press it, you know something big is going to happen.

4. dculberson says:

Probably paid scrap value for it from govliquidation.com and thinks its worth its weight in gold.  It’s neat, but not worth that kind of money!

5. wolfwitch says:

Hope he can justify having it. We already know NASA will try to sue him for whatever he gets for it…

6. Seg says:

I’d rather see this go to a museum. It’d make a great addition to the Computer History Museum.

7. nixiebunny says:

It’s a big power supply. Not very interesting by collectors’ standards. Weighs more than it’s worth.

The panel of buttons by itself would be worth mounting in a frame and hanging on a wall. Especially if they have cool legends such as “Main B Bus Undervolt”.

8. David Maag says:

I would love to see this kludged into a guitar amp.

9. Anderson Council says:

Isn’t that Geddy Lee’s new bass rig?

10. I’d rather see photos of the back of the racks. Wiring complex AV racks is one of the things I do for a living these days, and I’d love to see how the rocket surgeons do it.

• nixiebunny says:

They use miles of white Teflon wire and miles of waxed lacing cord. Just like in airplanes.

• Donald Petersen says:

Doesn’t let me link directly to it, but there’s one not-very-close-up picture of the back of the racks on the eBay site. Click on the main picture and you’ll see it along the side.

• Tore Sinding Bekkedal says:

Telco wiring used to – by far – be the most impressive. Check out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8uMbpaFp3i4

11. ffabian says:

What is it good for? Is there some way to implement this thing for a commercial engineering project or something? Why is it so pricy?

12. mtdna says:

He’s obviously an eBay newb. Everyone knows you’re not supposed to take it out of the box.

13. Bubba73 says:

As soon as I win the lottery this is going in my ‘evil lair’ and when I’m done with it I’ll follow Seg’s request.

14. Newt’s gonna need this to help him scout a suitable landing site on the Moon…

15. schmittenhammer says:

I believe this was the prototype for the iPhone, they had a tough time convincing the marketing people it would be a BIG hit……………

16. emo hex says:

Can’t wait to see this on the Antiques Road Show. . .

“and you paid how much for this?”

17. spacecataz says: