"On Sept 16, 1981, Representative Stewart McKinney and I introduced legislation designed to end bureaucratic interference in the use of marijuana as a medicant. We believe licensed physicians are competent to employ marijuana, and patients have a right to obtain marijuana legally, under medical supervision, from a regulated source." Newt Gingrich, hypocritical piece of shit, was pro-medical-cannabis "way back before he wanted to behead people and cut off their hands for possessing it," notes Dangerous Minds.

16 Responses to “Newt Gingrich's pro-medical marijuana letter to Journal of the American Medical Ass'n., 1982”

1. Mujokan says:

“There were very few established Republican politicians who hadn’t taken positions in the George W. Bush era (or the Newt Gingrich era!) that pose ideological problems for them in the tea-party era. Mr Gingrich himself can fleetingly outrun the problem because, like most voters, he has the long-term intellectual consistency of a goldfish. But YouTube never forgets.” http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2012/01/republican-nomination-9

From the article: “That was a sign we were alive and in graduate school in that era. See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn’t change, only the morality. That’s why you get to go to jail and I don’t.”

What scum.

• Gideon Jones says:

Wrong scum too.

Legalization was a totally fringe idea back when he was in grad school and when he said that in the 90′s.   Support for it has increased steadily for the last half century.  So when he was in school, support was far lower than it was when he said that.

And it’s higher still now- up over the 50% mark, meaning that most of the adults in the country want it legalized and find his position to be the immoral one.

• Ianto_Jones says:

Wait, I thought Gingrich professed to believe that the source of morality is some invisible higher power (aka the Judeo-Christian God), and that there is some kind of objective morality which never changes because of this.

Correction:  Morality is whatever politically-expedient bullshit that Newt Gingrich claims it is at any given time.  Ergo, Newt Gingrich is God.

2. lknope says:

I loved this quote from Newt from the article:

“That was a sign we were alive and in graduate school in that era. See, when I smoked pot it was illegal, but not immoral. Now, it is illegal AND immoral. The law didn’t change, only the morality… That’s why you get to go to jail and I don’t.”

When HE smokes pot, it’s moral. When YOU smoke pot, it’s immoral. When HE cheats on his wife, anyone in the media who points it out makes it harder to govern…need I say more?

What a colossal ass.

• Ianto_Jones says:

Just the person you want to be in charge of all the nuclear weapons!

• Chris Lee says:

(looks around)
        (points at self)

Me?

• Antinous / Moderator says:

He exhibits all the typical behavior characteristics of a paranoid sociopath with a persecution complex and delusions of grandeur. Just the person you want to be in charge of all the nuclear weapons!

To be fair, that’s the only sort of person that ever volunteers to be in charge of the nukes.

• Ipo says:

Well, I’d take one.
          Mine would have a blinky red light and beep in mostly regular intervals for atmosphere.
          People say they didn’t think I was the type.

3. SamSam says:

Looking online, it seems his positions have wavered back and forth a lot, but didn’t you guys just write a post where he was filmed saying he didn’t believe people should go to prison for smoking pot recreationally?

• Gideon Jones says:

No, he said he didn’t think the young White woman with the camera asking him whether she should be arrested should be arrested.  But of course, we all know that the drug war isn’t actually about young White students in America, it’s about people of color and America’s poor.Gingrich actually wants a stepped up drug war

Republican presidential candidate Newt Gingrich does not support the legalization of medical marijuana and would like the see the United States adopt a more aggressive policy against drug use.Gingrich told Yahoo! News’ Chris Moody on Saturday that California showed that medical marijuana was a “joke,” where doctors prescribed the drug for nearly anybody who wanted it.He introduced legislation to legalize the medical use of marijuana in 1981, but has since changed his position on the issue.

4. Thingumbob says:

This sounds like the Future Shock author  Alvin Toffler devotee of eld.  Gingrich probably thinks when he is elected it will be the Omega Point…

5. Risser says:

I think Gingrich is a hypocrite and just all around horrible person for other reasons, but to be fair, if I had to be held to every opinion and belief I proclaimed aloud thirty years ago, I’d be in a hell of a lot of trouble.  I’ve grown a LOT since then.  Even in the last ten years, my opinions on some crucial matters have changed as I’ve gotten older and had kids and they’ve gotten older and I’ve switched jobs and lost jobs and moved and so on.  That doesn’t mean I was or am a hypocrite.  Just that I know more now and have a different opinion.

For the record, I agree with old Newt and disagree with current Newt on the subject, but that still doesn’t make him a hypocrite.  C’mon, there’s a LOT of other things he is truly a hypocrite about*, we don’t need to invent any.

Peter

*Four times married, three times divorced, confessed adulterer and Catholic who claims to be pro-family?  Nice try.

6. MrEricSir says:

Gingrich and Romney aren’t exactly hypocrites, because they don’t stand for anything or believe the words coming out of their own mouths.

They’d say or do anything to get elected; if you’re naive enough to believe them, who’s fault is that?

7. graymerica says:

A stopped clock is right twice a day.   He also proposed the death penalty for drug importers.   He has a lot of idea, some are ok, some are scary.