Strange blue gelatinous balls fall from sky

30 Responses to “Strange blue gelatinous balls fall from sky”

1. phisrow says:

There would be no reason I can think of for them to be falling from the sky; but that also looks pretty much exactly like a broken sample of the little hydrophilic polymer spheres one can purchase for assorted amusement/plant nurturing.

Distinguishing between polyacrylamide and biological goo wouldn’t be very difficult, and the latter has greater reason to be out in nature in quantity; but it’s visually quite a good match…

• beemoh says:

There’s been a post on Gizmodo in the last few hours which backs that up, too.

• chgoliz says:

TYWKIWIDI posted this yesterday, saying the same thing as Gizmodo (that it’s the little polymer spheres), but the blue color made me think of the same thing as Hottie below.

• Mujokan says:

This was on the BBC too, and apparently Bournemouth University is on the case so it won’t be a mystery too much longer.

• Jerril says:

They’d fall from the sky for the same reason that frogs and fish fall from the sky – they got sucked up in a whirlwind/tornado from ground level. A gardening center or a gardener’s yard (or the open bed of a pickup truck, or a shed, or whatever) getting hit would be a great place for them to come from.

• Warren says:

Precisely my thought. That would explain why they were in his garden, too. Maybe his wife/lover/SO/housekeeper had a vaseful of them, and dropped a few while picking flowers.

2. Hottie says:

They are more likely partially solidified waste from aircraft lavatories, which might explain their “falling from the sky.”  At any rate, I would discard the jam jars and tidy up the fridge a bit.

3. Robert Cruickshank says:

Isn’t that polymer the similar to that used in disposable diapers, and maxi-pads and such? That would plausibly explain how it got into the aircraft toilet.  Or maybe a waterspout hit a bubble-tea stand.

4. cubby96 says:

On another blog, it has been suggested that these are ammunition from a children’s toy gun line called “Xploderz.”

5. Palefire says:

Do not taunt happy fun ball…

6. Smart E Pantz says:

Oobleck, anyone?

7. Guest says:

I’m waiting for the triffids to start popping up this spring.

8. obeyken says:

Let this serve as proof to those who still insist that blue balls are a myth.

9. V says:

“The transmission of eggs on birds’ feet is well documented and I guess if a bird was caught out in a storm this could be the cause.”

At least it wasn’t coconuts…

10. James B says:

My theory is that those are “Aqua Pearls”.  There are pictures of blue ones on eBay UK.

But why are they in the sky?  I think they may have been used in an agricultural application to aid in water retention.  They could have dried out, and been blown/sucked airborne, or a crop duster was dropping them on a field and they were blown off course.  Or maybe they were already on the ground, and swelled from the falling rain, giving the appearance of falling from the sky.

I don’t buy the airplane blue water theory.  I have heard a firsthand story from somebody that services lavs, and when that blue water freezes, it freezes solid.  When the frozen plug is manually removed from the service port, bad things are behind it.

11. tmccartney66 says:

I found one of those on my sidewalk (southern US) several months ago.  I never did figure out what it was.

12. tmccartney66 says:

Here’s a picture of mine.  Working theory was Orbeez.

13. Stanley Potemkin says:

Unwanted breast implants?

14. yobar says:

I swear, England’s always having some kind of weird shit fall on it!

15. CLamb says:

Why do so many unusual things happen in Bournemouth?  Does the council go looking for them?