Clever-folding tyvek San Francisco map, with out-of-the-way landmarks

15 Responses to “Clever-folding tyvek San Francisco map, with out-of-the-way landmarks”

1. jetfx says:

I have to find out how they fold that map, as I fold maps everyday at work as a cartographer.

2. sean says:

I tried watching the video, but the herky-jerky montage of split-second shots was too much for my brain at 6:30 AM. Call me when you have a nice, smooth video with shots that last at least a second each. Maybe with a swan gliding across a placid pond with a bit of Debussey low in the background… I DID see the folding part and that was cool as heck!

• princessalex says:

For me, the big disconnect was between the image on the video and what the guy was saying.  He would be talking about bars, but the image would be cheese or produce.  When he was talking about restaurants, there were people in an art supply store.  My brain just couldn’t concentrate with the two different things to focus attention on.

• retepslluerb says:

Yes, badly cut, I agree.

Nifty idea, though.  Even though I use apps a lot, I can see myself using this map.

• Eric Meltzer says:

We thought hard about making an app, but once we found the miura fold, it became obvious that a physical map was better than the best experience the current generation of phone apps can deliver.

• retepslluerb says:

Looks to me that you are trying to focus on a small selection. In which case using  a map is quite probably the better tool, at least for the current generations.

And I’m totally okay with such a limited palette of  choices if I have reason to believe that it has been selected with care.

As a temporary visitor to San Francisco – or any other large city, for that matter – I’ll be never able to see all there is to see and fretting over might-have-seens just causes anxiety.

And as a newcomer who’s to, I’ll learn from the locals, anyway.

• sean says:

“Dammit, Jim, I’m a mapmaker, not a videographer!”

3. gobo says:

Now I miss living in San Francisco :(

4. MelSkunk says:

I would really like to see this for other cities in the future as well. Careful, you might get some commissions in the future :)

5. MrEricSir says:

Now I really want to know what these ‘hidden gems’ are that will be on the map.  There’s so many of them in SF it must have been hard to pick.

6. adamnvillani says:

I dig that they’ve got a nifty folding scheme, but why don’t we get any glimpses of what the cartography looks like? All we get are promises that he’ll point us to cooler things than other maps do, which I guess is OK if your tastes happen to align with this guy’s. This could be a great map for all I know, but based on this video I’m skeptical.

• Eric Meltzer says:

Valid concerns. there’s of course no accounting for taste, BUT the places we chose are not exactly marginal–who doesn’t like freshly baked bread? or attentive and careful service?

Of course you might not like burritos, for example, and you can just not go to the burrito places we highlight. but we think the criteria we used to choose places transcend taste!