"My Favorite Museum Exhibit": Controversial history

16 Responses to “"My Favorite Museum Exhibit": Controversial history”

1. zombiebob says:

that “crib-bed” is indeed disturbing. That is to secure sleep as a guillotine is to shaving a bit off the top.

• serpent says:

Disturbing it may be, but better than the alternative. I used to work in a psychiatry ward in Slovakia in 2001. They used crib beds (not like the exhibit, it looked more like this: http://i.pravda.sk/08/012/skcl/P2320760a_klietkaV.jpg). They are discouraged and even banned for children (thanks  to J.K.Rowling). The reason? They are “inhuman”. But consider this: they were only used in geriatric patients that tend to wander aimlessly at night or fall off the bed. Never as a deterrent to possible violence. The alternative is drugging the people full with diazepam, until they resemble zombies more than people.

2. John Ski says:

that’s a ‘Utica crib’, btw…

• Ito Kagehisa says:

Thank you for that, works for Google.

I’ve seen a modern version, made of polished steel and lexan, in a children’s hospital.  It had a mechanism to lift the top half from the bottom.  The ones I saw were for children who were too young to understand that their highly contagious diseases meant they must be isolated from the other children.

3. Isaac Marx says:

In reference to both exhibits, I say only…”ouch”.

4. Donald Petersen says:

That crib bed will look downright snuggly come the zombie apocalypse.

5. SomeGuy says:

Is it wrong that the first thing I thought of was that there must have been some subset of people who were into using both the condom and crib/cage simultaneously?

6. Melinda9 says:

It seems like the punch line of a comedy skit – Monroe Ayers shoves his condom into an old  account book and forgets about it. Flash forward 150 years and the condom is in a museum with his name attached to it.

7. Guest says:

The condom looks like Donovan’s “Electrical Banana”

8. Palomino says:

I don’t find the bed disturbing. What I find disturbing about some of these types of artifacts, is the care  and beautiful craftsmanship that went into some of them, like ornate Auschwitz oven doors; now that would something to write a sociology article on.  As a side note. I was walking through a horrible run down neighborhood here in Phoenix Arizona, the sewer  manhole covers were gorgeous though!

9. chgoliz says:

The Cairo Museum has (had? heaven knows the state of the collection now) one of Tutanhkamen’s condoms.  One priest’s sole job was to make them, custom sized for the boy king.  I was unable to determine the logistics on that process.  Apparently there are some gaps in the formal training of Egyptologists.

Reusable, but only up to a point, hence the need for an ongoing supply.

10. mothernatureseven says:

If you saw a 4 point restraint room from the 60s you would think this cage was humane.

• Antinous / Moderator says:

60s? We were still using them in 2000 when I left the hospital. Not much else you can do with someone who’s determined to rip their abdominal wound open.