Romania's prime minister doesn't know why he signed ACTA, Czech Republic's out

The EU's Eastern European constituents have been under enormous trade pressure to sign onto ACTA, the copyright treaty negotiated in secret at the behest of the US Trade Rep and the entertainment lobby. There's widespread rebellion in Slovenia, Poland and Bulgaria, and now Romania's Prime Minister has admitted, "he did not hold any information on the circumstances in which Romania had adopted the Anti-Counterfeiting Trade Agreement." Meanwhile, the Czech Republic's reviewing its ACTA involvement.(via TechDirt)

13 Responses to “Romania's prime minister doesn't know why he signed ACTA, Czech Republic's out”

1. ialreadyexist says:

If all that’s required to be a PM is to sign whatever’s put in front of you without bothering to read it or understand it, I’ll do the job for half the salary.  Heck, I can do that in my underwear at home if they’ll accept faxed documents. Same goes for US Congress and Senate jobs, I suppose.

2. H. says:

No worries, the EU commission already introduced another treaty, a new “improved” version of IPRED (the one Sweden already has, and which just helped one industry: VPN providers), on the table, which would top even ACTA (although it would be EU only). I think they play the “just introduce enough treaties, everyone will sign at least one”-game.

IPRED: http://ec.europa.eu/internal_market/iprenforcement/directives_en.htm

3. TheMudshark says:

I would be surprised if the Austrian prime minister even knew THAT he signed ACTA. These people are so clueless it´s not even funny anymore.

• guanto says:

I’d be surprised if the Austrian prime minister even knew he existed ;-).

(Austria’s head of government is the chancellor.)

• TheMudshark says:

Thanks for the correction, you are right of course. Seems I couldn´t think of the right word when I posted it. The rest still applies.

4. Andrei says:

Romanian PM said he doesn’t know anything about Romania signing ACTA. Actually Communications Minister signed ACTA, but he didn’t know anything about it. He justified that we signed along very respectful countries such as US, “NORTH KOREA” LOL!

5. What kind of government is that?

1) One you should get rid of ASAP
    2) In court, stupidity is not a defense either.
    3) Do yo really believe that “wuh?” attitude of the PM, really?

6. fwiw I can’t imagine Hungary will join its Central European neighbors in opposing ACTA. The government here is cheerfully dismantling democracy on its own anyway, ACTA would be just another drop in a sea of anti-democratic measures for them.