28 Responses to “Ganstagrass: world premiere of hip-hop/bluegrass video for "Gunslinging Rambler"”

1. Sean Mangan says:

They do the intro to Justified, which is fantastic as well.

2. Dave X says:

So on the day Ten$ion drops, you bring us this mess?

3. Trig Discipline says:

Oh awesome, awful bluegrass and awful rap coming together to form something worse than either.

• Balance of Power says:

Bah! Bunch of musical hipsters and curmudgeons. The concept is novel and this song is awesome. I look forward to hearing more.

4. boo says:

Laughed at the reference to Led Zeppelin.

Not the best bluegrass, and I am no judge of hip hop/rap, but I am pleased that somebody is doing it!

Too bad about the cranky people.

5. irksome says:

That there’s ‘Merican music!

6. Pete Hindle says:

Elements of the past and the future, combining to make something not quite as good as either.

7. Nathan Largesse says:

To enjoy music, I need to identify with it some, even just a little.  There have been times in my life when I’ve identified with Hip-hop.  And other times I’ve identified with bluegrass.  But this music just doesn’t fit into me, no matter which way I turn it.

8. Oscar Owens says:

This is hot, and they are doing it live!

9. eltiki says:

Hick hop?

10. Shawn-Ray Dalinsky says:

This is actually very awesome!  I’m loving this mixture of genres!

11. Stephen Ball says:

That works surprisingly well from 1.05!  Even if neither of the genres are your thing, you’ve got to admit they mix better than anyone would have expected.

I like a lot of the similar parts (eg: 1.40) on ‘Shoot Dem’ here as well: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQr8BcDuTEY

12. Jim Nelson says:

Musical version of green tea ice cream. Not to everybody’s taste, but for some people,  it’s unexpectedly awesome. Most of the bluegrass musicians I know, when I played their album for them, just started laughing in enjoyment and glee…

13. eraserhead666 says:

That high, lonesome sound you hear? Bill Monroe doing about 6000RPM in his grave….

14. max says:

Proof there’s always something for everyone’s tastes. I am a big fan of the “bang and twang” of Gangstagrass and T.O.N.E.-z

15. Bud Uzoras says:

I love Gangstagrass. No, it’s not for everyone. Jim called it a “musical version of green tea ice cream,” which is accurate. Most of the criticisms I’ve read here are weak. Might as well have just said, “I don’t care for this style of music,” instead of wasting time with their pseudo-Bohemian shenanigans.

16. Susan Carley Oliver says:

Adam Warrock has created a great album, mashing up his own rap with samples of the bluegrass score from Firefly.  Here’s a teaser for the album – it’s the first half that showcases the mood of the album (not sure why I can’t find the “Firefly” cut online). It definitely falls in the gangstagrass genre.  Here’s the entire album. Love love love.

17. teddanson says:

Reminded me of Dizzee Rascal and Guthrie Govan doing a bluegrass guitar version of his track ‘Bonkers’:

18. sebastian6 says:

I got about a minute into it. I like bluegrass and hip-hop, but this is awful and trite.

19. Harry says:

You know, I was always told that I had strange musical taste.  I am becoming a fan of Die Antwoord and now… I have a new genre to add to my strange taste.  Boing Boing never lets me down on this….

20. xtalman says:

I am going to send this off to my wife’s uncle who did actually play with Bill Monroe.  Not sure it he will talk to me again, though he did fiddle with the Stones many years ago.

21.  Yeah it’s a green tea ice cream. AWESOME green tea icecream.

22. Elissa Berger says:

This is so cool. I wish I could see these guys live, but video is the next best thing. I’m going to get the album for sure.