This is what a scientist looks like

36 Responses to “This is what a scientist looks like”

1. orwell says:

i’m a deeply weird, white, prematurely balding 7th grader…  does that mean i can no longer dream of being a scientist?

2. moop2000 says:

I can’t help it, but I ended up treating the site like a hot-or-not version of nerdy people :3

3. She really should work on technique, I don’t think her wrists should be bent back like that.

• Brigette Zacharczenko says:

It was my first time doing a push press with 95 pounds, my previous best was 65… so yeah, probably wasn’t perfect! I did try to readjust when I locked out at the top. Since it was a competition there was a guy judging our technique.

4. Scott Slemmons says:

The CaterpillarBlog link is borked…

• Jim Saul says:

It loaded for me – it’s worth trying again… her scanning electron microscope images are amazing. The caterpillar foot looks straight out of Lovecraft/Giger.

• invictus says:

The site isn’t borked, but the link is. The “entomologist lifting weights” link should point to: http://caterpillarblog.com/2012/02/04/this-is-what-a-scientist-looks-like/

5. Hellooooooooooo entomologist!!

6. David McKee says:

Did you know:
    Those studying the leafcutter ant can lift 50 times their own body weight?

7. Entomologists can lift 10 times their body weight.

8. orwell says:

“scientists in their natural habitats”   isn’t that the title of a gary larson cartoon?

9. orwell says:

the next field trip will be to hooters…before going, students thought that hooters employees were brain-dead bimbos with luxuriant, flowing hair, whose bra sizes were larger than their IQs…

10. Pay attention to the weight of the free weights, not the size.  There is a current trend for colored free weights to appear the same size as normal free weights and yet weigh less.  You can only tell the difference by what’s printed on them and their thickness, not their diameter.

• Brigette Zacharczenko says:

Yes, bumper plates are made to be the same size so you can drop them. In this photo I’m doing a push press with 95 pounds.

11. chgoliz says:

A friend (who has children roughly the same ages as mine) is a chemist.  When her kids were in grade school, whatever class they were in got to have a field trip each year to a “real chemistry lab” where she taught the entire class how to make ice cream with liquid nitrogen and polymer to play with and bring home.

Grabbing the attention of young children *before* they learn the negative stereotypes….brilliant.

• Optic says:

My father the physicist used to come and do laser shows at my elementary school. I suspect this would be impossible due to liabilities these days.

12. seyo says:

Hooray for CrossFitting scientists!

13. OoerictoO says:

last link in article appears to be kaputt:

14. phor11 says:

Now if we could only resolve to pay teachers what they’re really worth to society, American kids might actually be motivated to learn from and possibly even respect them.

15. penguinchris says:

Well, I’m a scientist. I’m pretty sure no one’s interested in photos of me in the same way that they’re interested in photos of Brigette but perhaps I’ll submit a sexy photo of myself in the field (maybe this one).

16. OriGuy says:

Some of the best episodes of Dirty Jobs are the ones with scientists.

17. sota767 says:

Too bad this isn’t true for the computer industry. We’re all pretty hideous over here.